#45 - Somewhere in Neverland (song)

#45 – Somewhere in Neverland (song)

"The time really flies huh?" Michael mumbles while staring out of the window like he is in a sad movie scene.

"Yeah..." you sigh from the bed you're lying on.

You and your best friend are chilling in your room on a sunny day. It's the summer after both of you graduated from college and just a second ago, reality hit you two. Both of you have to say goodbye to the halls and the classes. The school years really went by fast and after summer it's time to say hello to a job and taxes.

"I'm starting to feel old!" Michael groans before scratching the back of his neck and sitting down at the edge of your bed.

"Eyy don't say that!" you sit up and nudge his arm, "I am older than you"

"Y/N, you're just a few months older than me" Michael flicks your forehead.

"Hey! That hurt!" you groan and lay back down on the bed.

"Move over and let me lay down too" Michael mumbles before pushing you to the side.

"Stop, I don't want you next to me" you fight back even though you know Michael is stronger than you.

"Too late" Michael says before letting his back hit the sheets and his head share the same pillow as you.

"Whatever" you mutter, facing the wall next to the bed so you can avoid his face. You and Michael have known each other for years and are always like this. Playful fights, deep conversations and crazy ideas; that's what your friendship consists of. Through the years you also slowly developed a crush, but immediately denied your feelings. You are sure Michael only thinks of you as a really good friend, maybe a sister and that's it. He would never develop any romantic feelings towards you, so why should you have them?

"It's like..." Michael mumbles after a few minutes of silence.

"What?" you reply, wondering what he is getting at.

"It's like... life is a map with no compass to guide" Michael says, getting into the 'deep conversations' part of your friendship.

"Yeah..." you mumble, not really sure how to respond to that.

"Hmmm" Michael suddenly hums to a familiar melody and closes his eyes. You move from the wall and start facing the ceiling instead, thinking over which song he could be humming to. The moment he reaches the chorus of the song, a smile appears on your face.

"Forever young..." you sing to his humming, "I want to be forever young"

"Do you really want to live forever?" Michael stops humming and sings with you instead, "Forever, and ever?"

"Okay, we really need to stop this before our hair turns gray" you stop singing and quickly place your hand over Michael's mouth.

"Mhmhm" Michael tries to continue the song.

"No, I won't let you continue" a smile creeps back on your lips and you also use your other hand to cover his mouth. Michael takes that as a challenge and you two go from singing a song together to starting a playful fight. In the end, after minutes with sweat, laughter and hardcore fighting on your bed, Michael won by sitting on your stomach and holding both of your hands over your head.

"I win Y/N" Michael grins, "Like always"

"This is so unfair" you pout, "You know I am weaker than you, but still you never ever give me a chance!"

"But it is fun always winning over you" Michael chuckles before letting you go and lay down next to you again.

"I am sure it is..." you roll your eyes.

"Hey can I ask you something?" Michael suddenly turns serious and enters the 'time for a deep conversation again' part of your friendship.

"Sure" you say and start facing him instead of the ceiling. His head turns to meet your eyes too before his mouth opens.

"I had a really great time at college with you and do you think we will stay friends after finding a job and starting...life I guess?" Michael asks you, his eyes telling you he is not kidding.

"So here we go again..." you mumble with a small smile forming on your lips, "We will always stay friends Michael, no matter what"

"I just..." Michael mutters, turning his gaze away from you and to the ceiling, "Wish we could start again... start the college life again and relive all the fun memories"

"Me too, Michael" you sigh, "But that's just impossible. Time really flies away and there's absolutely nothing we can do, other than living in the moment and find happiness and create new wonderful memories"

"That's it!" Michael suddenly sits up.

"What-"

"Y/N!" In under a second, the man who was just lying next to you, has climbed on top of you and his eyes are burning into yours.

"W-what is it Michael!?" you stutter, fighting back the warm feeling inside you. Michael has done stuff like this many times, but it's always when you're 'fighting', so this time it gives you more time to think over his actions and how close he is.

"It's impossible to turn back time and live forever young" Michael says with his face lighting up, showing you he probably is going into the 'crazy ideas' part of your friendship, "But we need to live Y/N! Just like you said, create new memories before the boring life starts and our youth is over... so..."

"So...?"

"Y/N, run away with me"

"WHAT?" you stare at him with wide eyes, feeling your heart skipping thousands of beats. What is going on in Michael's mind!?

"I know I sound crazy" Michael quickly speaks before you can say anything else, "But maybe this is the last chance to run away to a better reality. We should do it, just for a while...please"

"I-I don't think just running away is ok I mean..." you mumble, not really sure what to say.

"Y/N, we can get away" Michael says, his eyes turning dead serious, "I promise if you're with me, we can make new wonderful memories together and no one will find us"

"W-Where are we supposed to go?" you ask him, slowly taking in that he really is serious. Michael's eyes are telling you he really wants this. He wants to escape and make a better reality... even if it's just for a while, he needs it.

"Oh..." Michael mumbles, "Somewhere in Neverland"

When Michael said 'Somewhere in Neverland', you first didn't get it. You thought he was just kidding when he said those words. But a few days after that sunny day when Michael asked you to create a better reality with him, you two got in his car and drove and drove and drove... to Neverland. Through the time you spent running away together, you two had a great time with far better people, great weekends together, laughing with wine at different bars and you finally understood his meaning behind those words. The whole time, you two were trying to feel young forever... you were somewhere in Neverland where you never grow up. You two made a better reality.

A/N This was a request from a good friend here on wattpad :) I hope you all like it and thanks for everything as always! For some weird reason I don't receive mail anymore when people comment on my stories, follow me and so on... So it's a bit harder for me to keep an eye on the comments, therefore if you want to ask me something, send me a message until the mail stuff works again :) AND I AM STARTING SCHOOL AGAIN ON MONDAY (NOOO) ... so I guess updates are probably going to be even slower :( But I will always try my best and bye until next time x