Chapter Two

2 months and 26 days have gone by since then. 2 months and 19 days since Jake found us a place to stay at his friends. 2 months and 19 days since I last spoke to Clarice and John after their phone call as they screamed down the line. 2 months and 26 days since I last talked to Travis, not a single call not even a text. 2 months and 26 days I have waited keeping it secret from everyone. I wasn’t getting their hopes up as mine was slowly fading.

I cleaned up the leather couch which has been my bed for all this time and as I threw the duvets behind the couch I watched my phone as it sat on the corner. Not even a buzz. Not a single sound. To say this is most of what I do is an understatement. It is all I do, outside work at the restaurant and cleaning the house I would sit and stare at my phone. Waiting and watching.

It was two weeks ago that Jake had told me how distant I seem and I just shrugged looked at my phone again, “I guess I'm just worried” Was my reply. Knowing it would stop his questioning and I was right when he began to rave on about how as the oldest he should be the one worrying about us, not the other way around. Smiling at him I went along with all he said and soon enough he walked away feeling happy about himself thinking he’d helped me.

But in two weeks, I had tried to change, tried to focus, but my mind was blocked with the thoughts of what was taking him so long, did he lose my number? Has he come close to finding my family? I should have asked him to call and give me updates. But he hasn’t.

Not only were my thoughts clouded in Travis but more in my family. Would they have ever tried to find me? Did they even care anymore? Did they ever think about me? But most importantly, if I show up at their doorstep, will they reject me? Say they left for a reason? Or were they just scared? They’ll open the door wide for me and my siblings. Should I take the risk of heartbreak?

My phone began vibrating and like a cat I pounced but only ended up knocking it off it seat and falling onto the floor. I dived again snatching it up and checking the screen. Travis lit up the screen in bright bold letters. My hand wasted no time answering it and holding it up to my ear.

“Hello?” I managed to breath out. I had been a little out of breath from my mini work out but I regained it before he spoke.

“Hello? Is this Abby?” He asked.

“Yes”

“This is Travis Manter” He stated like I didn’t already know.

“Did you find anything?” I silently begged he did. Even if it was just what room I was born in.

“I found your family”

(A/N How bad would it be if I just left it at that.)

My even breath was knocked out of me again and I tried to control it as my hand shook. “You… You... Found them?” I managed to stutter out.

“Yeah, could you please come into the office this afternoon, I'm free at 4” I looked at the clock, 2, no time sooner?

“I’ll be there” I confirmed with a nod even though he couldn’t see me.