Chapter Thirty-Two

Chapter Thirty-Two

My heart was still pounding when Imani arrived with her friend Nia, it continued as we were told that the case was up and we had to make our way there. It got worse as we made our way to the giant wooden double doors, my hands joining in, sweating and shaking.

When they called us all to “Rise” I stood with jelly for legs gripping the table to stop myself falling over.  When the judge asked us to explain why we were all here and Ashlee stood, I saw Clarice and John gasp and look at each other in complete shock. It didn’t even get a smile out of me as nerves took over my emotion.

I felt Harry poke at my back from behind the gate but barely felt it until he did it again, twice. “Are you okay?” he whispered once I turned to face him.

I nodded unable to get my words out. “Nervous?” He asked and I nodded again letting out a long breath. “Don’t worry about it” he told me, “It’ll be fine, you’ll never have to see them again after this”

He couldn’t be more wrong.

I gave a weak, nervous and very fake smile to Harry then turned around before I could say something I regretted, like telling him the truth.

“We’re here for the legal emancipation of Lora and Abigail Keeley” Ashlee stated handing files to the male judge who took them and began to look over them.

“And who would take responsibility for the two?” He asked still skimming over the files.

“Abby’s biological mother Johanna Poulston will take the two in” Lora looked over to me but I kept my eyes at the judge.

My eyes closed and I let out a long breath trying to steady my nerves, the case continued, Ashlee fighting to have Lora and I stay with my mother. Clarice and Johns lawyer took it upon his own ability to claim that the two were perfect parents and that we rightfully belonged to them.

“We have a proposition” Ashlee offered, “In the circumstances that Clarice and John reject the emancipation we offer that they sign only one form” Ashlee glanced at me and I nodded.

“I'm listening” The judged nodded for Ashlee to continue.

“Clarice and John sign Lora’s emancipation form and Abby can live with them until she turns 18” Ashlee explained.

My mother jumped and everyone there began looking between Ashlee and I, “Abby, what's going on?” I heard Harry whisper.

“That’s not what we talked about” My mum stopped Ashlee.

“Is there a problem?” The judge asked, Ashlee glanced at me with almost pleading eyes.

“No, there’s not” I answered, the judge nodded his head for me to continue and my hands shook as I grasped the desk we sat behind and stood. “I would like to ask that Lora’s emancipation forms are signed and mine aren’t” I told him and my eyes went to Clarice and I noticed the smug smirk on her face. She thought she won.