Chapter Four

“Are you sure you want to do this alone?” Lora asked me, I turned towards the back seat to face her with a smile.

“Yeah, I think its better” I answered, “No matter how much I need you guys there”

“Well just call” Jake told me and I nodded looking out the window of the car, mentally preparing myself.

“I’ll call you soon” I told them looking between them both with a smile. With that I received a ‘Good luck’ from the both of them and I exited the car. They waited for a moment while I walked up to the door and knocked to make sure I could get inside. When the door unlocked and was opened by Johannah I smiled and gave them a small wave which sent them reversing back down the driveway.

“Who was that?” Johannah asked after a small greeting, stepping aside to allow me to come in. I slipped my shoes off at the door as I answered.

“My foster siblings” I said, “My older brother Jake and younger sister Lora”

“Well, I look forward to meeting them” she replied. I nodded not knowing what to say so she continued, “I am dreadfully sorry about yesterday, I should have listened but I just got so…” she trailed off trying to think of a word but I cut off her thoughts.

“I understand” I informed her as she lead me through the house, “You were scared, you weren’t sure if I was the real thing or just some fan trying to get close to the family. You didn’t want to have your heart broken” I had been thinking about it all night, even Jake had said the same thing.

“Exactly” Johannah smiled glad I understood. “So anyway, now that we have that out of the way” she seemed relieved to have that problem solved, maybe I wasn’t the only one awake last night.

“Why am I here?” I asked her as she took a seat on one of the two brown leather couches and directed me to sit on the other facing her.

“I wanted to meet you, I wanted to find out what I’d missed” she looked down at her hands and sighed, “But most of all, I wanted to apologize” she admitted.

“Apologize?” Didn’t she just apologize for yesterday?

“For leaving you at the hospital, putting you up for adoption” she answered, “I was so scared, Troy was threatening to leave, he only wanted a son, so we agreed to put you up for adoption. But no time later we ended up divorcing because I’d realized what I had done, I didn’t know what to do” she had tears welling in her eyes as she tried to explain.

“Troy said that you tried looking for me” I said remembering his words.

“I did I really did, I hired an investigator just like you did, but he passed away only a two weeks into the case. I thought it was a sign, to not pursue it, so I gave up” she out her hand to her head, “I was such an idiot, please I'm so sorry Abby, for everything” I smiled weakly.

“I forgive you, in all honesty, imagining my life without Jake and Lora is almost impossible” I said with a sigh, “They're the greatest siblings a girl could have” I smiled in memory.