Chapter Three

Chapter Three

“Will you please just go talk to them?” Jake pleaded, he’s been asking since we got home. Two days ago.

“No” I answered him again, continuing to chop the carrot for dinner.

“Will you at least tell me why?” he groaned leaning down on the bench begging with his eyes.

“No” I repeated. It is basically the only words I’ve said these past days.

“Why?”

“No” he moved around the bench following me as I reached the fridge to receive the other ingredients.

“Please?”

“No” I moved around him back to the bench.

“Smells good” I heard Joe as he walked in the door, his long brown hair waving around his face. "What you making?”

“Roast” I answered with a weak smile.

“Yum” he grinned, “How far off?” he asked.

“A while yet” I shrugged. Joe ran up the stairs to do his normal routine of showering and getting changed from his work clothes to either his party wear or lazy day wear. Seeing as its Friday it wouldn’t surprise me to find him running down clean and pretty about to run out the door to meet a new girl to bring home.

Jake was unfazed by us and continued with the interrogation the second he left. “Please just go visit one of them, I know that you want to. You're up all night reading the file Travis gave you, you have read and re read every page enough to recite it all back to me” He pestered.

“So, you think I just shouldn’t be interested in my family?” I asked finally giving up.

“No, I think you should stop pretending you're not dying to see them, for them to answer every question in your mind, at least go see your dad. The fans aren’t all big around him, go to him, then go to your mum together, she has to believe you if you're both there” He advised.

“And what if he doesn’t accept me? What if he throws me out because he never wanted a daughter, what if I am nothing to him? What if I am rejected? Do you think I could handle that?” My voice rose with every word and I ended up screaming at him.

“I think you're stronger than you seem. Maybe you’ll be rejected maybe not, but were still your family, and you never know until you try” He shrugged his shoulders and turned away. He sounded a mix of hurt, the pain was evident on his voice, but he was sincere. He believed every word he had said.

I looked down at the chopping board begging myself to beat the inner battle rising in me. I could never face what was happening without Jake and Lora, but I knew that there was one thing I had to do on my own. I had finally lost my inner battle.