chapter 10

it's a week before the court date and me and Landon just got back from school when we walked in and was greeted by Landons parents. his mother was grinning his father was looking down at her adoringly.

"what's going on?" asked Landon.

Jane grinned at me. "Aubrey, how would you like a girls day?"

i didnt really feel like going anywhere but she looked so excited and happy, i couldnt be the one to wipe that look off her face. "why not?" i said.

"oh were going to have so much fun! shopping and eating out at a restraint." she gave her husband and Landon a kiss on the check and said over her shoulder to me, "see you in the car in 5."

"thank you so much for doing this. you have no idea how much this means to her. she's always wanted a daughter to have girls nights with." Elliot said. he patted my shoulder gave me a smile and walked off.

"why didnt she just have another child?" i asked Landon.

"i think she wasnt able to conceive anymore. i never asked. it was always a sore subject."

i knew exactly what he was talking about. what Landon said brought back memories that i havent thought of in a long time.

FLASH BACK:

i ran down the stairs when i heard my parents pull into the drive though. i cant believe it! finally they bring home my baby brother. i know were going to be years apart since i'm already in 6th grade but i dont care. i throw open the door but stop short. my mom wasn't caring a baby or a car seat, she was tucked under my father's arm.  they brushed past me, my dad taking her to their room. when he came back out he walked into the kitchen grabbing a beer and sitting down.

"dad, where's the baby? what's wrong with mom?" i asked.

he sighed and shook his head. "Aubrey, we lost the baby." his voice cracked at the end.

my eyes teared up and the aching started in my throat. "what? how?"

he shrugs. "there's something wrong with the baby's placenta. it got detached and the baby ended up dying. she can never have anymore."

i started crying i didn't fully understand but i got the part where he said she can never have babies.

he got up and mumbled about having to go to work. i walked to my mothers room and knocked on the door but no answer. i opened the door to see my mother on her bed clutching a perception bottle.

"mom?" i whispered. but all i got back was a broken sob. she pulled up the blanket over her head. i patted her shoulder and slowly closed the door. that day i closed the door on us forever.

END OF FLASH BACK:

"hey, Aubrey?" Landons voice makes me come back to reality.

"yeah?"

"my mom's waiting for you, you should go." he kissed my forehead and gave my hand a squeeze.

i nodded and waved. i walked out the door going up to the car Jane is waiting in.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"do you like them?" she asked.

i nodded and looked back down at the jeans i'm wearing. this is the third pair. these were light blue and faded in some spots. their long on me which is good, i know their going to shrink in the dryer. i made sure all the clothes she's buying me are on sale.

"good we'll take them." she said to the sale's lady.

i turn and walked back into the dressing room and change out of them. i gave them to the sales lady and she rung them up. so far i have three pairs of jeans and five t-shirts.