chapter 2

I get up the next morning and slowly and carefully got dressed. I have no make up to cover my face so I have to no choice to go to school like this. I walk down stairs and met my father in the kitchen. He looks at my face and narrows his eyes. I just stood there waiting for his move.

"Keep your hair in your face. Your mother isn't up so she can't cover that up. It's your own damn fault anyways; take responsibility once in your pathetic life." He turns away.

I feel tears prick at my eyes but I never cry anymore especially over something like that. I mean if I don't cry when he beats me then how can I cry when he talks to me like this?

I left the house and started for school. I put my hair in my face, put my head down so it would fall easy and stay in place. When I reached the school I almost ran into a wall of flesh before he put his hands out to stop me.

I look up but stop myself. "Sorry." I mumbled.

"It's fine. Can I talk to you?" Landon asked.

"Sure." I said still looking down.

           He laughs. "Well could you look at me?"

           "What do you want to talk about?" I change the subject.

            He grabs my arm and pulls me away from the doors. "I'll just jump right into it. Do you know what mates mean?" he asked.

That is so not what I was expecting. "Depends what definition you are looking for."

He laughs. "Well not the one that means friends."

"Oh yeah I do. Why do you want to know?" I asked glancing around, watching as students pass us to go in.

"Well then you know your father is a..." he trails off tapping his leg.

"Werewolf?" I whisper.

"Well, yeah."

"Yeah, what does that have to do with anything?" I wanted to get inside and be done with this conversation. Why was he asking me about my father?

"Well then that means that you know they have mates? That the Moon Goddess gave them a other half that they are destined to be together with?" He said slowly.

"Yeah I know what it is." I snapped.

"Well, Aubrey, you're my...mate." He whispers the last word.

I jerk my head up in surprise but then curse myself when I see the look on his face. "Damn it." I mutter and try to walk away but he grabs my arm.

"What the hell! Who did this?' He growls.

"Nobody. I ran into the wall." I stumble to get the words out.

 "Like hell. If you did then how did you get both sides of your face?"

  "I'm talented?" I ask trying to get out of his grip.

"Whatever. I'm going to find out whether you help or not." He starts to walk away but I grab his arm.

"Don't. Just please don't." I beg him. If my dad finds out that someone knows something he's not going to be happy and again I'm his therapy. His little punching bag.

He must have seen the fear in my eyes because he stopped. He looked down at me and cupped my check in his hand. "Aubrey, tell me who did this so I can kill him." He says calmly.

I just shake my head. "I can't." I whisper.

   "I wish you'd trust me."

            "I do, it's..." I trail off not wanting to confess to anything. "You have to trust me that I can't tell you..." Or else hung at the end of my sentence.

            "Whoever is doing this, I'm not scared of them, I'm scared that he's going to go too far and you will be gone. I want to help you. Just let me help you." He begs and pleads getting down to my eye level.

            I look down. This is finally the out I want but then why am I hesitating? I shake my head. "I can't."

            He sighs and I can tell he's going to start arguing again so I say, "There is one thing you can do."

            "What? I'll do anything."

            "Be here for me, at school."

            "I can do that. I told you, Aubrey, you're my mate and I'm going to protect you and one of these days I'm going to find out who this person is." He said and the truth rang all through it.

            I let out a breath not realizing I was holding it. I feel hope for the first time in forever but I'm also the most scared I've ever been.

"You are going to tell me who did this right?" he asked.

"Eventually, maybe." Probably not, I said to myself.

"I already have someone in mind." I hear a deep growl starting up in him. "I'm not going to let this go on. You understand why I can't do that right?"

            "Yeah, of course. I know how all this stuff works, Landon. I just need time okay?"

Actually I only had an idea of what he meant. My mom used to tell me stories about how werewolves would meet their soul mates and maybe one day I would be one. But I don't know if they are just that, stories. By the time I was old enough to hear the real version on things, my parents weren't leaping at the chance to have "the talk" with me.

            "Okay but I can't grantee anything. I'm going to find out one way or another." He pauses getting a good look at me. "This is not going to continue." He reaches up and being careful, runs his fingers down my check.

I can see the pain that this is causing him. I grab his hand and hold it. "I understand."

"Then you understand why I'm taking you home today?" He asked straightening up getting ready for my objection.

 "No you can't do that." I told him quickly. My voice begun to rise and I caught a couple people's attention. A lot calmer I said, "Landon, you can't take me home. Just let it go."

"Then my theory is correct. It is your father that is doing this." His eyes harden and he took a step back. "I'll be back." He starts to leave but I grab his arm.

            "Where are you going? What are you going to do?" I asked, my questions running together.

            "Don't worry about it." He said waving me off.

            "Just give me couple days, let me talk to him." I begged.

            "That's not how it works with these types of guys, Aubrey." He told me coming back to me. "You have to act quickly."

            "Just a couple days, please?" I grab his arm again trying to get him to hear my urgency.

            He starts shaking his head. I could see his wolf wanting to protect me and I can see him wanting to respect my wishes. "I'll try." He says but I can tell it's taking everything in him to say it.

            I kissed his check. "Thank you."

            "Don't thank me; I'm doing something really stupid."

COMMENT, VOTE AND FAN