chapter 24

hey guys once again i am sorry for the wait.

It’s the end of April and I’m sitting in the library, working on my world history report. I had to stay after because I needed the books also. I am alone because I made Landon leave a while ago; you can just tell he was dying of boredom. But of course he put up a fight saying he wasn’t and that he didn’t want to leave me alone but I got my way. When I was done, i printed my report then logged out shutting down the computer and leaving the books on the counter so the librarian can put them away for me.

I put my report in my history binder then stuffed it in my bag. I walked out of the library stopping by my locker to put my bag away then headed out. I told Landon I would call him when I was done so he could pick me up but when I stepped outside, it was a beautiful night. The sky was clear so you can see all the stars in the sky and the moon shone so brightly up high. So I decided to walk. It wasn’t far maybe a mile or two. I took out Landon’s IPod that he lent me earlier just in case I got bored in the library. I put the ear buds in and started the walk.

About half way to Landon’s but you can already see the woods, I heard a bass pounding and someone singing but from here it sounded more like screaming, even though I still have the ear buds in. I kept walking not worrying about it when I came upon a house. Cars were everywhere, people are everywhere. I walked slowly past the house, checking things out and stopped. This is a party just like the one Kate took me to a couple weeks ago. I was watching people stumble around and even some puking when I heard the music stop and someone shout, “Cop’s!”

Then everyone is running. Out the doors down the drive away. Everywhere, people are running and throwing cans and cups off to the sides. I start to back up and closer to the tree line so I don’t get run over when a bunch of cop cars pull up, there lights flashing. I take out my ear buds putting the IPod in my pocket, when someone grabs my arm and tell me to, “Run!”

She yanks me into the woods and I run with her. I don’t know exactly why I am running but when someone tells you to run, instinct kicks in and you run. So I am running in the woods with a girl I don’t know and I have no idea where I am going. We dodge logs laying on the ground, duck under low branches and step on every little stick and leaf. Finally she says we can stop.

Were both leaning on our knees trying to catch our breath. “I think we’re good.” She says sitting up.

I do the same and look over at her. “Good?” I ask.

She nods. “You know, from the cops.” She takes a few steps to the direction where we came from then she nods again. “Yeah were good.”

“But I wasn’t at the party. I didn’t need to run.” I told her.

She shrugs. “Doesn’t matter. You were at the scene so they would still have taken you in.”

“Oh, then thanks.”

“No problem. I’m Liz by the way.” She said sticking out her hand.

“Aubrey.” I said shaking it.

“Man, I hope Nathan got out of there.” She said, I could hear a hint of worry in her voice.

“Nathan?” I asked.

She nods. “I wouldn’t even be here if it wasn’t for him. I only go to these things’ to make sure he stays out of trouble.”

“Oh, I’m sure he’s alright.”

“I hope so. Let’s go before they decide to check the woods.” She said and began to walk.

I wonder if London’s house is this way.