Chapter 1

I slowly open the door and slowly and as quietly shut it behind me. I crept to the stairs and lightly put my hand on the banister and my foot on the bottom stair. I eased my weight down on my foot and put my other foot on the second stair. But of courses it didn't work. Because the next thing I know I'm being yanked off the stairs by my hair and thrown into the wall. My bag goes flying and the wind gets knocked out of me.

            "Do you honestly think you can sneak by me, you bitch?" He spits at me.

            I don't even reach up to wipe it off, it only makes him more angry.  "Of course not, I just wanted to make sure I didn't wake you if you were asleep." I mumble.  It's hard to tell when he wants an answer or not but usual it doesn't matter, I still get the beating.

            "That was rhetorical question. Or do you not know what that means?" He grabs the back of my neck and pushes me on the ground. I lay there on my stomach waiting for his next move. "I mean, you are stupid. You're failing every class." I don't even try to correct him again bad move. He kicks me in the side making me suck in my breath and turn on my side.

Bad move though, his next kick goes to my stomach. I start coughing and gagging. I try to suck in a breath but it won't work. I clumsily get up on my hands and knees but he just kicks me again making me land a few feet away.

            "Get up and get out of my sight. You sicken me. You know I never thought you were my daughter. Your mother was always a whore." He walks down the hall and I hear the door to his study slam shut.

             Slowly I get up on my knees and pushed myself up on my feet. I climb the stairs and go into my room. It's not much of a room, there's a bed and a dresser but it is my safe zone. When it feels safe enough, I get up and walk across the hall to the bathroom. I lift up my shirt and look at my stomach. The bruises are already forming.

I lift up my straight black hair and looked at the back of my neck. The finger marks are forming too. Usual he's careful to not grab me or hit me anywhere where people can see. Mom must have pissed him off.

 I sigh, well looks like I'm not getting any homework done tonight, I forgot my bag down stairs and there's no way I'm getting it.

            I walk back over to my room and lay down, when twelve o'clock hits I slowly slide my window open and crawl out on to the roof. I lay back and look up at the stars. Welcome to my life.

I forgot to put in this little detail, my father is a werewolf. He found my mom, his mate, freshman year. If you couldn't tell things have gone wrong. I think that's why he won't hurt her because she's his mate. Deep down he still loves her. My mom and me aren't werewolves though, only my dad. I think that's one of the reasons why he hates me. He always wanted a child that would inherit the gene. If only I had maybe things would be different.

 There was pounding then, "Aubrey, get up." then more pounding. "Aubrey, get your ass up!" Before I fully registered that it was coming from reality instead of a dream. "I'm up, mom." I called to her.

"Finally." She said and a few more choice words but I'll pretend she didn't say those.

I get up feeling stiff and sore all over but gather up the one of the two pairs of jeans I own and a T-shirt I got from my mom. Some kids get old clothes from their older siblings. I get mine from my mom. My mom is a little smaller than me so the shirts are sometimes snug fitting or perfect it depends.

My mom is an alcoholic and an addict to coke and let's just say other drugs. Plus she's about 5'4 and I'm 5'8, I get my height from my dad. So the shirts are little short on me. Well it's a good thing I'm skinny then, again thanks to my dad.