chapter 8

I woke up in the middle of the night not knowing why. I listened but couldn't hear anything. I used to wake up a lot back at home when I heard my father walking up the stairs. But I'm not home anymore, I told myself, I'm safe. I sighed and rolled over to only find a solid wall in my way. I sat up, my fight or flight reflex kicking in. So much for that thought. I slowly get out of bed and back up until my back hits the wall. I stay there for about ten minutes until I convince myself that no one was coming after me. I slowly creep around the bed heading towards the side where the person ways lying on, I crouch down as close as I dare and look to see who it was.

Landon was laying there all peaceful like so I hit him. I smacked his arm and he jumped awake. "Landon! You scared the crap out of me!" I smacked him again for good measure.

"Sorry," He mumbles and he rubbed his eyes sitting up.

"God, you can't just do that. I thought you were a kidnapper or a murderer." Or worse, I thought to myself, my father.

He chuckles. "Calm down, Aubrey. Come back to bed." He lies back down and rolls onto his stomach.

"Oh yeah, because I can so go back to sleep now." I walk back to my side and sit on the edge of the bed. "Why are you in here anyways?" I said quieter.

He sighs and at first I didn't think he was going to answer but he eventually says, "Because when you ran off like that I thought you were running away from me so I had to come in here before I ripped someone a new one." He mumbled.

"I was running away from you." I murmured. I didn't think he heard me but next thing I know I was being pulled down.

I ended up next to him with his arm around my shoulder, my head on his chest. "Why?" His mouth rested on the top of my head and I could feel his breath when he spoke.

"When my dad got mad he would...well you know." His arm stiffened behind me. "And what I said made you mad so I jumped up before what usually happened next could happen." I said messing with my Pajama shirt.

"You thought I was going to hit you?" He asked in disbelief.

"Well not exactly, it's just that when I saw you get mad, memories came back and I ran." I said shrugging. "Force of habit, I guess."

"I wasn't made at you, I was mad at myself." He said sighing, his breath hot on the top of my head.

I waited but he didn't continue, I looked up and saw his eyes closed. I reached up and ran the tips on my fingers down his check. He sighed, this time with content and snuggled more closer making me be practically on top of him. I rested my hand on his chest and closed my eyes.

I fell asleep and for the first time I wasn't scared before I shut my eyes.

***

The next morning I woke up to movement. I lifted my head up off the pillow and looked over. Landon was getting out of bed. I rolled over so my back was to him. I didn't want him to see the hurt look on my face that I got from seeing him sneak off.

Today is Saturday so I can sleep in. I snuggled deeper into the pillow and brought the blanket up to my chin. I waited for the sound of the door opening but it never came. I peeked over the cover and saw Landon sitting at the edge of the bed. I rolled on my back and looked at him.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

He looked back at me. "Nothing." He got up and walked towards the door.

Before he opened it I asked, "Why were you mad at yourself?"

"What," He asked, turning back around.