Chapter 15

hey, guys here's chapter 15 and i want to say thank to everybody who has read, voted and commented on this story! i feel very proud of myself right now and it's thanks to you guys.

okay enough with the cheesy stuff. i wanted to know if you guys could tell me who you think is Landon. i picked someone out and you can see on the right who that guy is but i don't know he just doesn't seem to fit. so if you guys would, i would love to know who you think should be him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i meet Landon in the parking lot and drove to his house with him. the whole car ride there was pretty awkward and silent. when we pulled up to his house we got out and walked in.

"i think my father would be in his study." Landon told me when we walked inside.

i nodded. "i'll uh talk to you later then." i said a little shyly and turned to go but realized i didn't know where his father's study was. "uh which way is the study?" i asked.

"go to the kitchen and take a right and down that hall to the last door on your left."

"thanks." i waved awkwardly to him and started to the kitchen where i was met by Jane.

"hey!" she said and ran over to give me a hug.

"hey, Jane." i hugged her back.

"so i hear you had a visit from your mother?" she asked.

"how'd you know?"

"oh she had to let your lawyer know." she said and walked back over to the table.

"lawyer? i don't have a lawyer."

"oh honey do you really think we would leave you defenceless?" she asked a little hurt.

"of course not but a lawyer's a bit much."

she waved her hand in the air. "of course it's not."

i have a feeling i would never get her to call off the lawyer. "i should go talk to Mr. Carter." i said goodbye and promised to talk to her before i left and headed to his study.

i knocked on the door and he said to come in. i slowly opened the door and stepped inside. "Aubrey, what a nice surprise." he shut his book and put down his glasses. "what can i do for you?" he asked. he gestured for me to take one of the seats.

i did and tucked a piece of hair behind my ear. "i wanted to know about the court day. what i should expect and what i should be prepared for."

he nods. "yes of course. i was going to call you about us meeting with your lawyer and get you prepared for the day." he put his glasses back on and searched through a little black notebook. "i suppose i should get right on that." he picked up his phone and dialed a number.

i sat back and waited. the conversation didn't last long, all business. "he said he'll be here in two days, since the court day is a Friday, he'll want to go over everything with you."

i nod. "thank you for doing this."

he smiled. "you don't have to thank me, your practically my daughter Aubrey."

i smiled. "thank you Mr. Carter." it's been so long since i heard someone claim me in anyway it feels great to feel like part of a family. i stood up. "i guess that's all then. i'll let you get back to your book."

"and i'll let you go talk to my son."

i turned back around to face him. "how did you know..."

"that you and my son had a fight? he told me, not about the fight just that it's his fault your not living here anymore. but if it make much of a difference, he kept repeating 'i screwed up.' and 'i made a huge mistake.'"