The girl who cried wolf: Prologue

Prologue

I woke up to the sound of a piercing howl. My body tensed as the deathly sound filled my ears one more. After a moment I sat up not knowing what to do, something inside me was telling me something was wrong. As I sat there shaking slightly, I heard panicked footsteps racing towards my door. Clutching my duvet and my heart racing, I braced myself.my door flung open, my heart feeling like it would stop, and I closed my eyes tightly. As I felt a hand around wrist, they snapped back open. I was relieved to see my mother's face looking back at me. As I looked closer at her big green eyes I could see that she too thought something was wrong. She pulled at my arm but I didn't budge, still too afraid to move. Watching her closely, I saw her quickly glance at the window as though she heard something. A second later she was looking back at me more panicked then before. She pulled me once more, more forcefully; with great ease she dragged me from my bed and out of my room. My feet barely touching the floor, she ran dragging me behind her. I had never seen her like this; I'd never seen her looking so panicked. It scared me. As we reached the bottom of the stairs she stopped for a moment and looked as though she was sniffing the air. I was so confused and scared but chose not to question her. Once again something inside me was telling me it was ok. She turned back to me and motioned me to be quiet and to stay where I was. I slowly nodded, shaking a little more. She hurried off towards her office, within seconds she was back holding a black duffle bag. She came running toward me, without making a sound. She grabbed my wrist like before and began to run. She broke through the back door and sprinted across our back garden. I couldn't get my head round how she managed to just run through the door without any sign of slowing down, or how she managed to run so fast. The wet grass made her slip a little but she kept her balance. As we headed toward the large wall at the end of our garden she paused. She let go of my wrist and hurled the bag over the wall.

"Wrap your arms around my neck." She shouted in a voice I had never heard before.

My body froze. Noticing that I hadn't moved she looked back at me over her shoulder. I gasped as I saw her eyes, they were no longer green. They had turned dark amber and looked almost animal like.

"Mia wraps your arms around my neck now!" she shouted again.

Without hesitation I did as she asked, too scared not to. She took a quick look at the wall before running towards it; she crouched slightly and leapt over the wall. As we flew through the air I gripped her tightly in disbelief. She landed on feet and unwrapped my arms from around her neck. She gripped my arm and glanced around for the bag. Once she found it she grabbed it and began to run again, heading into the small woods behind our house. Once we were close to the edge of the woods we stopped again. She turned to me with a tear running down her cheek; I could see her eyes slowly turning green again. She kissed my forehead and brushed my hair off my face. Looking into her eyes I knew this was goodbye, that I would never see her again. She handed me the bag.

"I want you to take this bag and run as fast as you can. Don't stop and don't look back no matter what. Head towards to the Smith farm, Paul will know what to do. Promise me you won't look back." She said beginning to cry.

I nodded slowly and began to run. I heard her run off back towards the house. As I ran I could see the farm house a head of me. As I edged closer to it I heard a scream, it was my mother. It almost sounded inhuman, I could feel a tears running down my face. As they began to get a little heavier I tripped into the mud. As I tried to pick myself up but my bare feet and hands began to slide all over the place. I was covered from head to toe in mud. Suddenly I felt someone grab me round the waist. Before I had time to scream a hand was placed over my mouth.

"Mia don't panic. It's Paul smith, I know what's going on and I'm going to take you somewhere space. Just try and stay quiet." He whispered.

As he spoke I began to relax a little. He picked up the bag and carried me towards his land rover. He opened the door and laid me down on the back seat, he motioned me to stay down before closing the door. Before I knew it he was climbing into the driver's seat. I curled up into a ball shivering, as my teeth began to chatter Paul chucked over a blanket from the passenger seat. He started the engine and we drove off into the night.