Family Secrets 2: Part 2

Part 2 - Tuesday

We stood in line waiting for what felt like hours. Eventually, after a twenty-minute wait, we got to order our favorite ice cream, chocolate, and strawberry.

We paid and decided just to walk around, enjoying the sights before us. People we knew waved and smiled at us.

I enjoyed the ice cream with every bite I took, the taste reminding me of my childhood days, the days that we were still an entirely happy family.

Miss Waters a native of our town and somewhat of an oddity, even stopped us asking us all about our lives. She was dubbed the crazy lady in Westbrook because she could see the future and there were even people that believed she was a witch.

"So Z what do you want to tell me?" We found a bench near an abandoned little shop and sat down.

"Mike is getting married."

"What? You mean your Mike? Are you getting married?"

I started laughing at all her questions.

"No, not to me, we broke up remember?"

"Then, who is he getting married to?"

"Ashlee." I could feel my heart breaking, I still loved him, but he was marrying my cousin.

"Ashlee who?"

"Our cousin, Ashlee, your nemesis." I laughed at all her silly questions. Even if she was a lawyer and super smart she could sometimes act so dumb.

I could see the confusion on her face; it was like a flood of memories came rushing back to her.

Ashlee and Jess were only three years apart, but still, they were the worst enemies ever. Ashlee always tried to be better than Jess.

"Really? Who in their right mind would want to marry Ashlee?"

"That is what I asked myself." We both chuckled at our own comments.

"What do think of it, Z?"

"I am happy if he is happy." I faked a smile and took another bite of my ice cream, getting some of it on my shirt.

"You are so clumsy." Jess chuckled and gave me a smile.

I loved having her as my big sister; we got along really well. We could talk about anything and everything.

We had a few years to catch up on, but when I least expected it, Jess asked me a question that I never wanted to hear in my whole entire life.

"Do you think they are going to get a divorce?"

"What? They are not even married yet."

"No Z, not them. Do you think Mom and Dad are going to get a divorce?" Her once happy face turned into one of confusion.

"With dad, I don't know anymore. I am just as confused as you are. But I do know they love each other; they wouldn't just throw that away." I gave her a reassuring smile, putting my arm around her waist.

"What if they are not in love anymore? Whose side will you choose?"

"I won't choose sides because it's not going to happen. So stop thinking about it." I got angry at Jess for just thinking about it.

"Sure, whatever you say little sis. You are always right." Jess said and gave me one of those fake smiles.

When we got back home, I went upstairs and took a nice hot shower.

Afterwards, I lay on my bed, processing all the questions that Jess has asked me.

What if she is right? What if they are going to get divorced? What am I going to do then?

Tears rolled from my eyes, down my cheeks, and before I knew it, I have cried myself to sleep.

*Stay sweet Xoxo ✌ .