22 : Clueless

Colby's POV

"Ava she still hasn't answered" I panic to my friend.

Yesterday I called Noah for our usual check in. Everyday at the same time we call each other. Keeping my end of the deal of telling her about the four months. Our calls at first consisted mainly of talking about our time together but they started to turn into regular conversations. We stay on the phone for hours without realizing how long it has been. I feel like we are relearning about each other all over again but in a different way. We haven't missed a call since I left. Yesterday when I called I was confused on why she thought I was her mom and why she sounded mad.

I called and messaged many times but heard nothing back. I started to worry until Ava helped me to not overthink. I didn't try to call her anymore for the rest of the day. Letting her deal with whatever was happening.

She said that she would call me back. That call never came. It's the next day and she still hasn't called or replied to any of my texts.

"Colby chill" Ava tells me.

"What if something happened to her? What if she is having another breakdown?" I ramble.

A knock on our apartment door interrupts my panic.

"I'll get it" Ava walks over to the door. I got back to my phone to check if there was a reply. I get sad seeing that there is nothing.

"Hi Ava" the sound of a familiar voice makes me turn around.

"Noah" I whisper out as I run to the door where she is standing. Jumping into her arms with relief knowing she is okay. My arms wrap around over her shoulders and hers wrap around my waist.

"C-colby, you're squeezing really hard" she tells me.

"Sorry" I let go. Stepping back from the embrace. "What the hell happened?" I ask in reference to the bruising on her face. My hands come up to her face examining the bruises.

"Hunter" she smiles.

"What?" Ava says behind me.

"Oh don't worry she looks pretty much the same" she shrugs.

"What?" Ava repeats. This time with more emphasis.

"She's fine" Noah quickly answers, noticing that she has caused Ava to worry. "We got into an argument but resolved it. First time she has beaten me in a fight in years. So she's happy"

"Weird fucking family" Ava replies.

"Ava!" I smack her arm.

Noah laughs at her comment, "You're not wrong" she continues to smile.

"I'm going to go call Hunter" Ava tells us.

"Well actually she came here with me" Noah says. "She should be coming up in a bit. She went to grab some food for us"

"Wait so you guys are staying?" I ask.

"If that's okay with you guys?"

"Yeah" I smile happily.

"Can we talk?" Noah asks me. I nod. We head to my room. Both of us sit at the edge of my bed. I turn my body with one leg on my bed and the other on the floor. Noah is sitting facing the wall in front of my bed.

"What happened?" I ask when she doesn't say anything.

"I can't be an agent anymore"

It takes me a second to react to her words. You can see and feel the hurt behind her words.

"With the damage to my skull the doctors said that if I take another big hit that I will likely not survive it"

"I'm so sorry Noah. I know how much this means to you"