Chapter 8: Meet Cute

They leave their bicycles on the street and board the train. Ivan had second thoughts.

"Hey! Wait! We're really just going to leave those there?"

He asks and no one hears him. Spencer pulls his best friend from embarrassment and says.

"Don't worry I'll pay them."

Ivan looks at him weirdly and asks. 

"What are you, Batman? Paying everything 'cause you have nothing to do? Next thing you'll tell me you own these bicycles."

"Well not those specific bicycles. Just the brand."

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN? JUST THE BRAND? YOU OWN THE BRAND?"

Ivan questions Spencer who does not reply. They squeeze in the horde of people. They enter the train and Colette secures a cabin.

"You look marvelous today. Those space buns on your hair. One word. Astonishing."

Spencer murmurs to Colette as he sits beside her. Ivan sits in front of them with Gracie and Travis bickering. She reacts and answers awkwardly.

"Thanks. It's cool how you never fail to flatter me every day. I'll sleep again."

Spencer grins at her. He moves closer to her and puts up a game on his phone. The blonde girl interrupts.

"Love birds, this is no time for flirting. I don't know all of you. Tell me about yourselves as if this the first day of school."

Travis laughs like an old man. Ivan cuts her and angrily says.

"They're not a couple. He's my best friend and she's my twin. That's gonna be messed up or else he wants to break the bro code."

Ivan glares at Spencer who frighteningly smiles at him. The blonde continues and brags.

"God. I'll start. I'm Gracie Woods-Mercado. They say that I'm hot-headed— it's true. I do drugs since my parents are having a messy divorce and all that shit. Messy, meaning a boxing match. I have the power of flight. I mutated with wings when I was nine. I can turn these babies into bulletproof metal and freely manipulate every single feather. I know, cool right? Did I mention it? That they're six-foot-wide wings that can be summoned on command. My sub-power is wielding an axe that is forged by the Gods, the axe is named, Defender."

She summons her large axe. The axe has its tip touching the ceiling. Travis sarcastically weighs in and presents himself.

"Really, by the Gods? You are so over the top. Well, you know me as the King of Ember High. Everybody loves and hates me. My fluffy brown hair and plump lips enhance my facial features. I have the power of air manipulation or aero kinesis. I'm a spirit elemental holder that is treated as a top-tier supe."

Spencer quivers in fear as Travis makes eye contact with him. Travis pats Spencer's shoulder signifying he goes next.

"Oh. Hello, I'm Spencer Cooper. I still try to adjust from my 'fatty turned hottie' status— as some girls in Brooklyn said. I have to say I'm quite well off. I have the power of energy blast that can blast out an energy strong enough to cut the ground in half. My power is a weaker version of energy manipulation. I wish I can achieve this if I developed it. Optic blast or laser vision is my sub-power."

Spencer finishes. Travis smiles at him to show that he has improved. He talks to move on to the twins.

"Cool. By the way, you twins don't have— ."

"No. Don't assume that."

Ivan cuts him. Travis feels at fault and stays quiet. Colette wakes up and wonders.

"Another thing, where are we heading? And you Travis, what's with that blue suit? You've been good to us yesterday and today. Did you bump your head or something?"

"I didn't shorty. I was supposed to have a date with the hot cheerleader, Judy Barnes. Now I'm wanted for murder. Also, my mom died a few months ago. I felt like I had to be a better man. All because my dad left me and my sixteen-year-old sister to reunite with his whore."

Travis explains himself. All said their apologies to Travis. Loud silence filled the cabin. Gracie then speaks.

"Alright enough with the sentiments. We're heading to the former Baron scientist, Dr. Stella Mustafa. I did my research. She was fired by Morningstar for inventing a deadly serum. And! She's Morningstar's sister and Abyss' ex-wife. Jackpot! We're going to do our own investigation."