Chapter 2: At Nightshade

Colette looks exhausted. Why am I even working? She stands behind the cash register. She puts up a brand-new poster that encourages customers not to use any sort of power indoors. While doing this, she spots a couple sitting in the corner. The only customers that drink coffee that late in the night. Admiring the sky filled with stars through the shop's glass roof is what they did. Aren't they cute? When the hell is he coming back? Woah— She thinks. Ivan cleans the kitchen at the back. He manually scrapes off excess and dirt on the sink. He glances to check on his heavy-eyed sister. How does she look so tired all the time? Probably that face of hers is the problem. He ponders.

"Hello. Welcome to Nightshade Café and Bar. How can I help you?"

Colette says and lifts her head to see a man. He does not look at her.

"Hello. I would like a latte drizzled with caramel and oat milk. The large one."

"Okay. Is that all sir?"

"Yes. That's for to go, please."

The customer says calmly while glancing at the menu above. He then looks at Colette.

"Ha—"

Her voice breaks. She stares at him in shock. What in the world? How is this possible? She questions herself. It causes awkwardness between the two. Colette stopped moving. The man tries to get her attention. Ivan finally interrupts after a few seconds.

"Hello, sir! Sorry, my sister seems to be... malfunctioning."

"She does seem to be."

"Latte with caramel and oat milk is coming right away."

He cheerfully answers. The man instantly recognizes Ivan. He calls him. Ivan already is heading to the kitchen when he heard the man's question.

"Wait a minute. Are you Cooper Pooper's buddy?"

"Huh. What?"

"Yeah, you are. Your surname is Yang and you're in a math club."

"I am?"

"The one that eats with him in the school canteen. With the funky hair. Yeah. That is you. Funny, seeing you working here."

Ivan was left perplexed. He attempts to remember the guy.

"How did— oh, my. Oh, no."

Ivan trembles in realization. He runs and hides behind his short sister. They panic at the sight of him. She responds with sarcasm.

"Great, Ivy. Thanks for protecting me. You are such a great brother."

"I can't, Cole. I just can't talk to him. It's him."

Colette looks at her brother with pity. She inhales sharply.

"Travis, right?"

"Yeah?"

Travis reluctantly responds. Colette continues and is still sharply breathing.

"I'm Colette, and this is, Ivan. Yes, my brother is Spencer Cooper's best friend and we're also taking the same classes as him. Before you say anything hurtful, I'd like to confront you and stand up for myself, and for the two boys."

"Oh, Colette. That's a nice name. Okay."

"Thanks. As Ivan's therapist always advises. This seems scripted because it is."

"Sure. Okay, go on."

"You bullied us just this last school year, thankfully it's summer break. Yet here you are. I'll treat you nicely our valued customer. Get his drink, Ivy."