Mission Critical

"The leaves we put over her wounds stopped the bleeding, but, I don't know how long that's gonna last. We gotta do something," Sammy spoke. Two hours later, Mae was still asleep.

"Ben says Kash has a phone," Yasmina remembered. "Let's get it, call for help, and get out of here."

"What about the dinosaurs?" Darius asked. There was a silence, and a few sighs. Darius didn't let them dissuade him, though. They were all tired. Him included. But he couldn't bring himself to leave knowing the dinosaurs would be hurt or killed by evil people. These animals meant so much to him. In a way he could never be able to express in words.

Even just beyond the fascination, awe, and interest in them. They held a special place in his heart, because they were something that allowed Darius and his dad to connect. Because they were like a piece of him still left behind. And because his dad loved these animals as much as Darius did. The 13-year old knew his dad would be devastated if his father were around to learn that dinosaurs had been abused to re-extinction. For those reasons, he couldn't just go home.

"Now that Mae's injured, if we all leave, who's gonna protect them?" he asked.

"Darius, look at her," Yasmina said, gesturing to Mae herself. The woman was squirming, whimpering in her sleep. "She needs help. Our only choice is that phone."

"These leaves aren't exactly sterile. We're running out of time. Let's split up to try and find Kash," Ben said.

"Small problem. We don't know where he went," Kenji spoke up. As he finished that sentence, the now familiar sight of the green laser scan of the BRADs came to view. The campers quickly hid, taking Mae with them. It was a close call, but the BRADs left after apparent new orders from Kash.

"One of them could be headed to Kash," Yasmina said.

"You guys go. I think there was a first aid kit in the snow gliders. I'll get Mae patched up," Ben interjected. After a quick plan, the group went on the move. Unfortunately, they had to leave Mae vulnerable and on her own. But reassured everyone he'd be back with her quickly.

Yasmina and Brooklynn followed one BRAD, hoping to find the phone.

"Hey, Yaz. Are you ok? I mean, you know, with everything about being tired-"

"I'm fine," Yasmina interrupted. "We've got bigger things to worry about."

Brooklynn scoffed.

"We can-"

"Shh. It's getting too far ahead," Yasmina interrupted her once more. They silently followed close behind the BRAD, into some sort of building. In said building were possibly thousands of other BRADs, disabled for the time being. It was a scary sight.

"Finally. Took you long enough," Kash's voice sounded from a room past the inactive BRADs. Brooklynn and Yaz exchanges a look, and the younger girl nodded, signaling that they should move.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Sammy, Kenji, and Darius were after the second BRAD, following it into the forest biome. They were led to the T. rex family. Big Eatie was still watching over her daughter, staring down the BRAD as it scanned Little Eatie.

"Health readings sub-optimal. Unsuitable for test," the BRAD spoke. Big Eatie snarled at the robot, which promptly scanned her.

"Subject suitable for test."

"What test...?" Darius wondered.

"Uh, I don't know," Kenji replied. Just then, a few drones flew overhead and toward the rexes. Particularly Big Eatie. Their lighting went from red to yellow. When she tried to get away from them, the drones shocked her. They surrounded the tyrant lizard on all sides, forcing her back from Little Eatie.