The V.I.P

It was the early hours of December 13th, 2015. Snow fell softly from the heavens as a lonely 15 year old stared out of his window. Though Kenji Kon had everything he could ask for materially, he wasn't happy. He stared out from the large, floor to cieling window in his bedroom, at the sight of kids enjoying themselves catching snowflakes on their tongues and running around. He never got to live a youth like that. Not with his dad around.

  As the son of a wealthy businessman, the Asian-American teenager had pressure put on him from a very young age. And since around the age of 10, he had dedicated a lot of his life to simply pleasing his father. He sacrificed friendships and a few relationships over it. And although nothing seemed to work, he didn't see himself giving up anytime soon. He was determined to make his father proud, to prove he was a good son. It was too important to him.

  And it made him miserable. No matter what he did well, Daniel Kon demanded more, and more, and more, and more, of his son. Any progress Kenji ever made would completely regress the moment he made the slightest mistake, made the smallest wrong choice. So many times now he'd felt he won his father over, only to accidentally stain the couch and get sent back to square 1. It was a seemingly endless, and nigh on impossible, game. And now, with his dad on a business trip, Kenji felt more empty than ever. His self worth was down the drain. His sense of purpose was nonexistent.

  He might attend another party tonight, maybe bribe his way into a club or something. He'd done it a few times already. Self indulgent nights to forget all his issues. Next morning, it would return. But hey, it was worth the fun. Shrugging off the rampant thoughts in his head, Kenji decided to get ready for the day, making sure to make his hair look as good possible. He then made his breakfast request as he walked into the dining room, adorned with so many chairs. Yet, he would be the only one sitting in any of them. The house cooks immediately got to work. It was like a personal restaurant.

  He then shuffled into his bathroom to brush his teeth, and then sat down on his bed, thinking about what to do next. There was a near endless list of options. Gaming, watching a movie, bowling, indoor golfing. But none of them seen appealing. He'd done all of them, and they were activities meant for more than just one person. He wasn't gonna ask a maid to play with him. Or a butler. He sighed, when suddenly his phone buzzed with a notification. He lazily reached for the device and checked the notification. A message from dad. Kenji smiled, his hopes somewhat high for this to be something good. Those hopes were soon squashed.

  'Call me.' That's all the message said. Kenji took a small and hitched breath, before calling. It took a few seconds, but his father answered.

  "Hello, Kenji," the man said. His voice wasn't happy, it wasn't even remotely expressive. It was his professional voice. He always spoke to Kenji in that voice. And the teenager hated it. But he sucked it up.

  "Uh, hi dad," he replied, slightly nervous. He prayed to whatever was out there his dad wouldn't catch on by some slim chance. Unfortunately, Daniel Kon had brilliant ears.

  "Why do you sound nervous? Did something happen?" the businessman asked. It wasn't in concern for the wellbeing of his son, however. It was in fact an aggrevated tone, as if he had the idea Kenji had messed up. It made the 15 year old desperately try to recompose himself before answering. Thank God the old man wasn't a fan of FaceTimes.

  "Nah, everything's fine, dad," Kenji said, putting on a facade of confidence. That seemed to ease his old man. Kenji also didn't speak about himself when he said everything was fine. He was talking about the valuables in the home. His father was most likely worried about those, afterall.

  "Good. Alright, listen closely," the man said to Kenji, voice back to a fully professional tone.

  "Jurassic World is working on a new project. A summer camp. Masrani contacted me earlier about including you in a test run. They open to public next year. It's 5 weeks, from tommorow to January 18th, and you'll be joined by some other kids," his dad informed. Kenji internally sighed, doing his best to suppress an external sigh. Jurassic World. Again. How many times was he gonna visit that stupid island?

Jurassic World- Camp Cretaceous: RetoldOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara