Whatever It Takes

Darius was way behind Yasmina, his mind still unable to erase the moment Brooklynn was taken.

"Any sign of them?!" Yasmina asked as she vaulted over a log. Darius took about 5 seconds to do the same, and sluggishly at that, not responding. Yasmina skidded to a stop.

"Darius!" she shouted. It snapped the boy out of his thoughts.

"Wh-what?-" he asked, blinking. He needed to bring himself back to reality.

"Any sign of the others?"

"Uh- n-no," he stuttered. He looked at the laptop in his arms. He really chose this thing over his best friend.

"Dude. Brooklynn will be fine. We're gonna save her," Yasmina said, panting little. Even the track star had begun to feel the strain on her legs from so much running.

"...Yeah, I know... it's just-"

"Darius, you did what she wanted you to do. She trusts you enough to come up with some way to fix this," Yasmina stopped him from finishing his sentence. Darius blinked blankly for a moment.

"Come on, we gotta move," Yasmina said, breaking into another sprint. Darius looked at the laptop. He'd fix this. He had to. He took off after Yaz, determined to rescue Brooklynn. They heard a rustling behind them, and turned to face it. A flashlight.

Darius stared hard. Maybe she was with them. Maybe he could fix this already-

"Darius," Yasmina sharply hissed from his left. Darius looked back at the light, then joined Yasmina. He doubled over, hands on his knees. He felt the older girl place a hand on his back.

"I know you can hear me!" Hawkes sternly called out. The two teenagers instinctively backed up against one another.

"Set down the lap top and nobody gets hurt," Hawkes spoke. But Darius couldn't see him. "I won't come any closer. You have my word."

Darius didn't trust that. He hugged the laptop tightly, scanning desperately. They heard a rustle from behind them, and they whipped around. They saw one of Hawkes's men, but with him were two of the Baryonyxes. They watched as the man was torn apart, screaming in agony, with the sound of the dinosaurs ripping into his flesh. It wasn't new. But in his current state, it was so much worse than the last two.

"We're headed to the valley to load up the chopper! That gives you about two hours to get there and bring me that laptop," Hawkes said. "It's the only way you'll ever see your friend again.

Darius looked down at the laptop, contemplating. But he couldn't. He knew he had to find a way to get Brooklynn back and stop Wu. But for his 13-year old mind, it was already becoming way too much to handle. Finally, they saw their friends.

Darius took a moment to catch his breath. The giggle that came from Sammy was usually something so warm. But how would she react when she learned that he'd chosen the laptop over Brooklynn?

The three other campers embraced Yasmina and Darius. Darius tried his best to force a smile, hug back. When they seperated, Kenji was the one to ask.

"Hold up, where's Brooklynn?" he asked, scanning around. Darius's face dropped. He looked down at the laptop again, regretting his decision all over again. He took a slow, deep breath. He had to try and be calm.

"Wu's back... and he wants to make more hybrids, and perfect the Scorpios."

"What?!" Sammy exclaimed, a horrified look on her face.

"We overheard him talking about needing the laptop," Darius continued. "So, we decided to steal it. And we did, but... when we were gonna make a break for it, a mercenary that Wu brought with him..." he trailed off.