Another Setback

It was their second day out at sea now. Conditions were perfect today. The breeze was calm but cool, something very welcome after so much time trapped on Isla Nublar. There was a perfect sky above them. Blue, with white puffy clouds ample in the sky, but not blocking the sun. Really, it was a great representation of how everyone felt about going home. Darius arose from his slumber, yawning.

He rubbed his eyes, stretching as he stood up slowly. He looked around to see everybody else already awake.

"Morning, guys," he happily spoke up. Ben and Yasmina waved and smiled at him.

"Afternoon, Dino Nerd," Brooklynn said.

"Good afternoon, Darius!" Sammy exclaimed. His jaw dropped a little. Had he really slept that long?

"You hadn't slept for days, Darius. Of course you slept way past morning," Brooklynn pointed out. Darius giggled bashfully and smiled, looking to all his friends. If things went to plan, this would be the last day in years they'd spend with one another. It was a bittersweet feeling which hit Darius all over again. And of course, he couldn't help but look towards the cockpit of the boat.

Kenji stared ahead, still showing no signs of being over yesterday. Darius chose not to dwell on it, going back to focusing on the others. Sammy had prepared lunch for everyone, and they sat down around the wooden table on the deck.

Brooklynn, who had followed Darius's gaze to Kenji, couldn't bring herself to redirect her attention. They all had a limited amount of time with one another, maybe even less than a day. So, with that in mind, she decided she would try and repair Kenji and Darius's bond. She knew how precious that bond was to both of them, and she knew that they were both prepared to accept things as they were and leave them as they were.

She stepped up towards the cockpit. She opened the door inside.

"Hey, captain. It's lunchtime," she told him cheerily. He didn't turn to face her.

"Can't leave my post 'til we're docked in Costa Rica. I'm the only one of us who's ever sailed before."

The eldest's voice was stone cold and serious, a far cry from the goofball Brooklynn had come to know.

"How hard can it be?" Brooklynn asked, taking over the wheel.

"Iceberg! Iceberg!" she jokingly shouted out, hoping to get something of a positive reaction out of Kenji. But his reaction was anything but.

"Hilarious, I'm not leaving," he plainly stated. He placed a hand on the wheel.

"Come on, Kenji. Just cut the engine, ten minutes won't kill you," she pressed. He didn't budge, but his face finally loosened up, visible sadness on display.

"It might be our last meal together," she added, hoping that might be enough to convince Kenji. Kenji looked at her, silently pulling the lever down and cutting the engine. Success! The girl smiled at him thankfully, before walking back out onto the deck, Kenji following behind. She also decided to deliberately slow down, allowing Kenji to get ahead.

She had a smile on her face, until Kenji stopped. She looked up at his face. His eyes were narrowed, trained on the boy wearing a white shirt and jeans, a raptor tooth necklace around his neck.

She nudged Kenji forward slightly, and he ended up trudging towards the sofa, sitting across from Darius, who happily ate the meal that Sammy had prepared. That was until he acknowledged Kenji. The two exchanged glances constantly. Kenji's were narrowed, still angry.

"And now, for the main course!" Ben suddenly announced. Brooklynn sat herself down next to Darius as Ben held a plate above his head. "The plumpest, and the juiciest..."