Missing

They thought they'd made it to the dock... only to find it empty.

"We're too late," Darius said, face now pale. He was glad they'd listened. They would get home and live full, happy lives. That didn't make it any less heartbreaking and mortifying to know he and Ben would remain here, probably dying alone, bar each other's company.

His train of thought was cut off by a roar nearby. He looked to his left, seeing nothing. But then he felt Ben tap his arm. Darius turned to see what the other teen was looking at. The Scorpios rex was right there. Clearly, it was on the prowl. It sniffed the air, turning its head in their direction, and its eyes were soon baring down on them as it stalked towards them on all fours.

The two boys could do nothing but back themselves up against a tree, but another roar was soon heard. Darius felt a presence behind him. And from around the corner of the tree appeared another Scorpios. The two monstrosities towered over him and Ben.

"There's two of them," he blurted out in disbelief. But it soon became clear this wasn't some elaborate team plan by the two predators to catch him and Ben. They were after each other. Two of the same blood-curdling and near deafening roars struck Darius, along with some saliva.

He motioned for Ben to follow him as he tried to sprint away. But, frustratingly and terrifyingly, the two creatures remained on either side. Darius whimpered, trying desperately to hold it together and find a way out of this. Eventually, the two monsters lunged at one another, and Ben and Darius ducked, hands on the back of their necks. They were nearly trampled a few times as the two beasts battled,

"Come on!" he breathlessly shouted as he got his desired opening. He and Ben sprinted towards the limousine just a few feet away, diving into the relative safety of the vehicle. Darius instinctively buckled up.

"Reflex," he said when Ben gave him a look of bemusement. However, the other boy soon buckled himself in as the spine of a Scorpios cracked the windshield. The limo was thrashed around. If not for their seatbelts, they'd be as good as dead. After a minute or so, the violent thrashing finally stopped, and their legs and arms dangled down towards the front of the limo.

Darius let out heavy breaths, oxygen finally reentering his system normally again. The limousine was turned over, the front of it dug into the soil. It was probably held up by a tree, if he had to guess.

When the sound of the Scorpios rexes battling and screeching sounded far, he finally allowed a sigh of relief to exit his body.

--------------------------------------------------------------

It'd been hours. Sunrise was out of the question, as the sky was clear blue, dotted with clouds and the sun well above them. Still, no sign of Darius or Ben after circling the island at least twice by now. Brooklynn was stood next to Sammy, scanning intensely for any sign of the boys. Brooklynn's worry had grown exponentially. She still held out hope. Darius had kept himself and Ben and everyone else alive. He could surely keep just himself and Ben alive now.

But the Scorpios... it was more dangerous than anything they'd dealt with so far. She had to force herself from beginning to accept the worst, feeling a terrible pit form in her stomach anytime the thought of what Darius's last moments might have been like. Or Ben's.

--------------------------------------------------------------

"How are there two of that thing?" Ben angrily questioned, after finally forcing the door open. The boys had decided to spend at least a few hours camped up in the limo, and when they were sure the Scorpios rexes had cleared out, they finally decided to move out.

"My working theory is that since all the dinosaurs have other animals' DNA built into their genetic code, like tree frogs, some of which can reproduce asexually-"