On the Line

Nightfall had arrived. The group gathered around the complex, right on the treeline, awaiting Darius. Minutes went by, with no sign of him, though. Brooklynn tried her best to think rationally. Maybe he had to navigate around BRADs.

"What if something happened to him?" Sammy worried. Not what Brooklynn needed right now.

"Nothing happened to him," Yasmina assured her best friend. But, she knew there was a decent chance. "Uh, what if something did?"

The doors of the compound opened, revealing Darius, by himself. He sprinted towards the jungle, and just the sight of him being after so many hours made Brooklynn's face light up. But then something exploded behind him, causing a bright burst which knocked him onto the ground. Her heart stopped. She very nearly ran out to him, but Kenji stopped her. She turned back to see a robot, standing over Darius. It looked like a BRAD, but all black and bipedal.

She then saw Kash take a stand next to the robot, grinning. He held a golf club over his shoulder, and Brooklynn couldn't help but worry that this guy was gonna give Darius a brutal end.

"I see you've found your new babysitter," the man said. "Or rather, it's found you. It's part of my new fleet of upgraded models. I call it BRAD-X."

As if the originals weren't annoying enough, these ones were bigger and apparently an upgrade.

"After you disappered, it seemed like a good time to take this baby for a spin. BT-dubs, what are you doing out here?"

"Honestly? I've been cooped up all day, and I'm bored. Can't I go for a walk?" Darius asked.

"Sure you can," Kash said. "And from now on, BRAD-X will be right there with you. And in case you get any ideas..."

Brooklynn then watched as Kash slammed the golf club against the BRAD-X with all he had. The robot didn't even have a scratch, from what she could tell. She could feel herself shaking, knowing that Darius's safety was even more at risk. At least with the original BRADs, he could take them out. But this one? He stood no chance.

"This new model's virtually indestructible," Kash chirped with pride. The BRAD-X locked its vision onto Darius, forcing the boy back into the compound. He followed Kash back in, with the new BRAD right behind him.

Before disappearing behind the doors, he held up six fingers briefly. Brooklynn kept her eyes on the door, listening to Ben and Kenji question what Darius had meant. She worried deeply before. But now she was terrified for him. Kash was getting braver, and that wasn't good.

"No idea," Brooklynn said in respose to Kenji asking what 'six' meant. "But we need to know what Darius knows."

--------------------------------------------------------------

Darius sighed, walking through the doors into Kash's control room, where the man sat. So, this was gonna be a lot harder than expected. This new BRAD-X thing meant one wrong move was a death sentence. He had to be on point, keeping up the act perfectly, and remaining a convincing actor. As the doors shut behind him, Darius noticed two other BRAD-X's standing on either side of the doors.

"Hey, Kash?"

"What's up?" the man replied, clearly not in the mood to talk. Before sneaking out, Darius overheard that some investors were coming over in six days. Kash wasn't happy about the expectations of his boss, it was fair to say. He raged, throwing something heavy against the door.

Speaking of, he hoped the others were able to decode his message.

"Anything I can help with?" Darius asked.

Kash turned around in his seat, gesturing to the screen in front of him.

"Does this look like something you can handle?" Kash asked rhetorically.