Tunnels

The sun was starting to rise, and the group still hadn't gotten any closer to finding away off of this new island. It was weird to Darius. They'd been on here long enough that surely they'd come across the ocean again. But, no. So, either this island was a lot bigger than he figured, or something weird was going on.

His mind was torn away from his thoughts as he heard a thud from behind him. He and the rest of the former campers turned to see Kenji on the ground.

"Oh, what the...?" the eldest of the bunch muttered. Darius spotted the source of Kenji's bewilderment quickly. Something made of metal, covered in sand. Unlike the rectangle, though, this was raised.

"What is that?" Yasmina asked. Then, everyone's eyes trailed to what appeared to be strange tracks left in the sand. There didn't need to be a word spoken, as the campers ran along the tracks. Two toes, oddly rectangular shape. Darius wracked his brain, thinking of any possible animals.

Kenji led the group, following the tracks until he suddenly bumped into something and fell back. Darius looked to see what exactly the older teen had bumped into, only to see something more than odd. Strange lines just about vanishing in front of them. What was weird was that they covered that they seemed a lot farther than they were.

Kenji pressed his hand again to this... wall? Darius couldn't think of the right terms. Anyway, the lines reappeared. Brooklynn tapped the wall, then kept her hand pressed to it. The "wall" was actually a door in disguise. It slid into the wall, revealing a dark tunnel, clearly not natural. Then, the lights inside of the tunnel turned on.

Everyone was stunned into silence. Darius and Brooklynn exchanged a look, both understanding that this was a huge mystery they were now dealing with. They thought this island would normal, easier than Nublar. But now, that was a lot less certain.

Darius was the first to take a step forth. He was the leader, afterall. The others soon followed him in. The tunnel had three directions they go in. Left, right, and straight ahead. Darius chose the last of those options.

But Brooklynn and Kenji spotted something to the left.

"Guys, come on," Kenji whispered, and they followed Brooklynn to another door. Next to it was a small blue screen with a lock next to it. The lock was, well, locked.

Brooklynn experimentally slid her hand just beneath the lock to the right, and the door opened. On the other side was, not more desert, but a lush forest with towering trees. The campers stepped out, wandering into the new biome. It was like they weren't even on the same island anymore. It was a lot cooler, as well.

"Guys, you remember how like, five seconds ago we were in a desert?" Brooklynn rhetorically asked.

"What the heck is this place?" Sammy wondered. Before anyone could answer, there was a loud, heavy footstep which shook the ground.

"No."

Then there was another.

"No."

And then another.

"No, it can't be..." Yasmina vocalized Darius's thoughts in a whisper. There was yet another footstep. And then there was a guttural sound.

Their eyes first landed upon its feet. Three toes on the ground, one elevated just below the ankle. The scales that covered it. And then they saw its head. Those piercing yellow eyes, massive teeth visible and covering its lower lip. The robust head. And that roar. That roar that Yasmina thought she'd never hear again. As the T. rex charged, the others took off. But Yasmina found herself frozen. Staring at the colossal carnivore as it got closer. And closer. The footsteps were deafening.