A Familiar Face

Kenji seemed to immediately trust these new people, cheering in celebration and claiming they were saved. Darius, however, wasn't so convinced.

"Are we?" he asked loudly as to be heard through the helicopter's rotors. But Kenji didn't respond. He immediately ran to the cockpit of the yacht, where Kenji was preparing to return the boat to the dock. He brought the lever back down after Kenji had pulled it up to start the engine.

"I'm not exactly getting good guy vibes, Kenj," he said.

"Yeah, unmarked chopper, big scary guns," Yasmina agreed as she and the other campers joined Darius ans Kenji.

"Oh, I'm sorry, what would you bring to rescue kids from an island full of killer dinosaurs?" Kenji asked, clearly irritated. "Cake?"

"He's got a point," Ben pointed out. But the sound of thunder startled them mid-conversation.

"The sea is pretty rough," Sammy pointed out. And she was right. They didn't have much of a choice. Darius pondered for a moment. After Tiff and Mitch, he couldn't bring himself to really trust in random people showing up.

"Alright, then. We take our chances with the people in the helicopter?" he asked them all. They all nodded. Darius hesitated. He didn't want to put them all in the wrong hands, misguided by a false promise to be taken back home. Not again, not after Mitch and Tiff. He finally pulled his hand off the lever.

Kenji started the engine again, and turned the boat back around. They were soon back at the dock, where Brooklynn tied a rop to a cleat, keeping the boat in place. The helicopter landed not far away, just up the ramp.

"Come on," Darius said grimly. The group raced over to the helicopter, met with a man holding a rifle. He scanned around, making sure there were no surprises. When he saw nothing, he began to walk towards the man and the helicopter, his friends in tow.

"What are you kids doing out here?!" the man asked, aiding them one by one as they climbed onto the helicopter.

"Long story! Too long!" Sammy said.

"Way too long!" Kenji happily added on.

Darius, Brooklynn, and Yasmina were about to board the helicopter when loud thuds approached. The distance between each step, the way the ground shook... it was Rexy. That was confirmed when the tyrant lizard roared loudly.

"What are you doing?!" Kenji shouted. The lady piloting the chopper had taken off, leaving Darius, Yasmina, and Brooklynn below, along with the armed man. He never got an answer, as the helicopter was snatched by the mouth of the T. rex, who tried to pull it down. Kenji instinctively reached out upon seeing Sammy slide down towards the open door. Ben grabbed onto his arm.

Eventually, the pilot had forced the helicopter away from the Tyrannosaurus, and noone had been hurt. The teens breathed in heavily as the pilot began to lower the helicopter for the armed man who'd been with her. But a the T. rex was soon right behind him.

Darius's eyes widened when the man who'd been calling for the pilot to wait turned around, face to face with the Queen of Nublar. He screamed, and that was the last they'd hear of him. Rexy clamped her jaws around him. The crunch that came as his bones were crushed up like chips was painful to listen to. The sight of the upper half of his body disappear into the head of the T. rex sickening. He wasn't the first human they'd seen killed. But he was the first in a while. And even then, seeing a person die like that was awful.

But that death had also scared the pilot, as suddenly, the helicopter rose up and flew away.

"Wait!" Brooklynn yelled out, but to no avail. The Tyrannosaurus roared into the distance, which gave them an opening.