Family Gathering

Two days later, and the fact they'd defeated Kash still hadn't really set in for anyone. Just being reminded that the heartless monster was locked away was enough to cause everyone to erupt into a chorus of cheers. Spirits were higher than they'd ever been since arriving on what they now dubbed 'Mantah Corp. Island'. Unfortunately, not everything was perfect. Though, to be fair, that was the norm.

"Hey, I think something's up with Rebel," Brooklynn said, walking up to Yasmina and Sammy. "He's chill but not usually this chill."

Rebel hadn't moved much at all so far today, and it had Brooklynn concerned.

"Angel's acting weird, too," Sammy said. That indicated it was something which impacted their species, rather than just some random illness. "She's usually more... bitey."

That was made more evident by the fact Firecracker was as playful and active as ever, as Yaz pointed out.

"She is right at home," the track star said. And that gave Sammy an idea of what the issue might be for the two baby Spinoceratops.

"Maybe that's the problem. Maybe they don't belong here in the jungle biome. But Sinoceratops live in the jungle. It doesn't make any sense."

"Well, they're also half Spinosaurus like the one in the desert biome. Maybe we should try there?" Brooklynn suggested.

"Works for me," Yaz agreed. "Hey! We're taking the kids to the desert!" she called out to Ben. He waved them away, focused on trying to get Firecracker to eat some berries. Something which failed as she ignored the berries in favor of some leaves Mae was holding out.

"Oh, my berries aren't good enough," he remarked in annoyance.

"She expended a lot of energy and needs something more substantial. With those irregular neck movements and increase in drool production, you can tell berries just won't cut it," Mae explained. "I could make you a nifty dinosaur behavior chart if you'd like," she offered.

"Oh, I don't need a chart. I've got my instincts," Ben turned her down.

"Sure, you have," the scientist replied sarcastically. "Regardless, you did a goof thing, Ben. She's finally free."

"But she's still got that control chip in her," Ben said, walking up beside Firecracker and placing a hand on the top of her head. "If that tech gets into the wrong hands..."

"Then, I guess we better get that chip out of her, huh?"

"Can you do that?"

"Can I- Benjamin. I'm a world semi-famous scientist."

She chuckled before adding, "Of course I can do that. Except, I'll need surgical equipment."

"Aw, man..." Ben groaned. He turned to Kenji and Darius. "Mae and I are going to the MedBay to save firecracker!" he called out.

"Cool! Be careful!" Darius responded, waving along with Kenji.

"Sorry, um, what were you saying?"

Darius turned back to Kenji, who asked if they could talk."

"Oh- uh... remember on the boat when I was mad?"

"You- you don't need to apologize, Kenji. That's all in the past," Darius said with a laugh. "I mean, man, that feels like years ago."

"No, I, I wasn't... look, I was too mad to do anything when you and the others threw that little party. And since we've ended up on this island, I haven't been able to get around to it, but I wanted to just say, happy birthday, bro."

Darius's mouth was slightly agape. A part of him figured Kenji would've forgotten by now.

"Oh- thanks," the boy said.