Coping

It had been a day since Kenji had chosen his father over them, and locked them into a pen in the Nursery. Nobody knew what to do. Yasmina practiced sit-ups, Sammy watched. Brooklynn sulked. And Ben silently played around with a bone. They were all dealing with this in their own way. For Darius, it was to force it to a side, force himself to not care.

"He left us," Brooklynn muttered. It was barely audible. She still couldn't really believe it. Kenji had left them. By now, he and his father were for sure off the island, meeting with this BioSyn guy. Maybe even back on the mainland. And he'd be home, having locked them up here. "I can't believe he just- left us."

She curled up into herself. Soon she felt Sammy's hand comforting her.

"I don't get it," she said.

"Why would Kenji do this?" Yasmina asked. Even she couldn't get the guy.

"You think you know a guy," Ben spoke. And, there was some truth in what the boy said. Kenji had been so different from when they first met him. Now, he simply... abandoned them.

"What do you think Dari..." Sammy was about to ask the boy, but, he held a finger up, telling her to wait.

"Four, three, two, one..." he said. His head turned to the door, just in time to see a BRAD-X stroll in. It scanned the pen, ensuring they were all there.

"All accounted for," it said in the end. It promptly exited the room, the door closing behind it. Darius turned to everyone.

"Alright, guys. That BRAD patrols every half hour. Which means we have 30 minutes to find a way outta here," he spoke, his voice serious. They couldn't think about Kenji. If that friendship was over, then so be it. He had to focus on getting his remaining friends back home, away from this terrible island and Kenji's abhorrent parent.

The others thankfully didn't wait around, picking themselves up and searching for potential exits. Sammy and Brooklynn tried the direct route. Force the pen's glass doors open. But it was frustratingly difficult. In fact, nigh on impossible. Eventually, they had to give up.

Meanwhile, Yasmina was giving Ben a boost, holding the boy up as he tried to reach a vent high up on the wall.

"Okay, maybe if I could get my foot on this, I can..." Ben huffed, trying to get a foot on top of the power box beside him. Unfortunately, it was just out of reach, and he and Yasmina ended up on the ground.

"Maybe next time, don't step on my face?" Yaz remarked with a grin.

"Ha, sorry. When I said left, I thought you'd go left," Ben responded with a smile. But as the other four were joking around and smiling slightly, Darius was still straight-faced, tossing a few blueberries into a food bowl.

"There's gotta be a way out. Think," he muttered, forcing himself to think harder. His eyes landed on a blueberry, which landed in the bowl. Due to the bowl's shape, the berry rolled around before falling back onto the floor. From there, it rolled back towards Darius until it hit a metal covering which was placed atop a grate. Darius pulled the metal covering back. Then, he got set to work, using a bone to try and pry the grate open.

"Hey, Darius. I know this whole- Kenji thing must be hard..."

Darius didn't respond to Brooklynn as she tried talking to him. He didn't need to think about Kenji. Not now.

"What are you doing?" she asked. Darius managed to force the grate open, lifting it up.

"Finding a way outta here," he said. A stench, a strong one, came from the darkness below. And the others reacted to it.

"Why does it smell so bad?" Sammy asked.

"Uh, pretty sure this is a sewer," Yasmina said. Moments after she finished her sentence, the familiar sounds of BRAD-X footsteps approached. Sammy quickly, but quietly, shut the grate, and everyone went back to acting mopey and bored. Once the robot finished its scan and left again, Darius pulled the grate up and away from the hole once again, coughing as the stench hit its nostrils.