Going Rogue

And so they arrived. Roxie and Dave stepped out first. Darius vaulted over the side of the truck, while the others looked from the trunk. An overwhelming sense of awe overcame them, as the rest followed suit, their shoes stepping onto the soil. Even Kenji was impressed by the sheer scale of it. This was no ordinary camping trip. That much was solidified. They had all expected cabins, or maybe slightly larger living spaces. Not some futuristic treehouse. A large yellow tarp covered the entrance, the place built into a massive tree.

  There was an elevator, too, with a window facing forward the whole way up. Above it all was where they would be stayng for the next 5 weeks. Balconies all over, more yellow tarp shielding from the sun, a bridge... it was more than any of the 6 kids could imagine. And, on the ground, just in front of the entrance, a large circle. It was lined by short bits of wood, filled in with red and grey pebbles. It looked incredible, a perfect replica of the Jurassic World logo.

  "Hey Brooklanders, check this place out! Is this not the most amazing place you have ever seen?!" Brooklynn questioned into her camera. Due to how loud she was, Kenji grinned. He walked past the camera and behind Brooklynn in a nonchalant, arrogant manner just as she finished speaking.

  "If you think this is cool, you should see my dad's penthouse in the main park," he boasted as he passed by. Brooklynn watched him walk by, not exactly impressed. She looked back at the camera with a bemused face, as if already done with Kenji. Her smile was quick to return as she caught eye of Yasmina, who was standing in awe of the campsite.

  "Yasmina, hey girl!" Brooklynn said, approaching the athlete before pointing the camera at her.

  "As an elite athlete..." Brooklynn followed Yasmina, who was quick to walk away while covering her face, "how pumped are you for camp?" Brooklynn enthusiastically enquired. Yasmina turned back to the media star with a not-so-happy look.

  "Not a huge fan of being on camera," she said, blocking her face again as she sped walked out of view, "or people..." she added on before jogging off. Brooklynn gave her a confused look, watching her go out of view. Meanwhile, Sammy and Darius were still admiring the campsite. It was amazing.

  "This place is almost as big as my family's ranch back home!" Sammy commented in disbelief.

  "That's because, when we're up and running, the camp will house 500 kids and 150 staff," Roxie explained. Sammy's jaw dropped. 500?! That was insane!

  Dave finished up tossing the campers' luggage to the entrance to the building.

  "Lit'n up! Announcement time!" he said, calling the attention of the campers, who all turned to him and Roxie.

  "From your co-head counselors," he decided to add on. Roxie gave a snicker, which caused Dave's face to drop.

  "Still not a thing," she reminded him, "ok everyone. There's some ground rules to cover. Curfew's at 8 P.M, and lights out at 9 P.M, sharp."

  Everybody expressed disappointment at the times given, except for Ben, who gave a quick fist pump. Roxie was quick to try and explain to the disappointed majority.

  "This is for your own safety," Roxie claimed, as she swapped her spot on the stairs with the campers' on the gravel, "we are in a dinosaur filled jungle," she proceeded to emphasize.

  "You must always keep your distance, or you could be seriously hurt, if not worse," she finished off. In the middle of her talking, Kenji let out an exaggerated groan of disappointment, which caught Brooklynn's attention. Against her better judgment, the girl giggled at it.

  "Define worse..." Ben requested. The answer was pretty obvious, though.

  "Cabins are up, thatta way," Dave said, pointing upwards to the actual building. Yasmina was quick to turn it into a race.