Redemption

Walking through the airlocks of Mantah Corp. Island, Kenji felt as in danger as ever. Even with the BRAD-Xs lifelessly on the ground, he'd never felt less safe.

"Kenji."

He handed the controller he'd been using to control Toro to one of the other men around them, before rushing up to his father.

"So where were you? On the boat, I was looking for you. We need to talk."

Kenji was finally hearing the lack of emotion his father's voice had. Whether all this time, he'd been imagining any positive emotion in the man's voice when they talked, or if that had been real and now his father had given up again, Kenji didn't know. But he was starting to lead towards the former.

"About?"

"I'm sure you're wondering why the little Ankylosaurus is here."

Spot on. Kenji looked away.

"Listen. Those kids escaped. And I may need to... motivate them," his father explained. "In case they try something dangerous again."

"You don't need to explain. I get it, it's just business," Kenji feigned agreement with his dad.

"Really?" his old man said with a smile, then placing a hand on Kenji's shoulder. It was cold.

"I'm glad you're starting to understand."

They kept walking, until Daniel instructed the two men to take Toro, Limbo, and Bumpy to the jungle biome.

"I shouldn't have to remind you that these assets are important. Which means you should stop anything or anyone that gets in the way of protecting them."

Kenji glanced up at his dad momentarily. The man's ego had led to him exposing his own lie to Kenji about Bumpy being just motivation.

The two men quickly agreed, chuckling. As he passed by, Kenji stopped momentarily to glare at the two men. He then moved on. He stepped into the elevator with Hawkes and his father, the doors shutting Bumpy and Toro and Limbo out of view.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Ben raced towards the warehouse, where he knew they'd see the monsters behind this. Sure enough, when he arrived, they were looking at the backs of the Kons, walking ahead of two armed henchmen. Seeing Kenji made the boy seethe. Bumpy had been nothing but a friend to him. And he let her get chipped. But one of the men he saw turned his anger to shock.

"No way," he muttered. Slightly too loud, as the individual turned and studied the tree line suspiciously. Kon walked into the building, with the other three standing guard at the door. At which point, the rest of the group finally caught up.

"Find her?" Brooklynn asked, panting out of breath.

"No. But I found Kenji and his new best friend," Ben said, eyes trained. Brooklynn followed his line of sight, eyes widening.

"Hawkes?" Brooklynn blurted out in a shock.

Darius sighed.

"Mr. Kon is exactly the type of guy who would work with a jerk like Hawkes," he whispered.

"Apparently, so is Kenji," Brooklynn whispered back. Wasn't it ironic? Not too long ago he'd been berating Darius because he'd allowed Hawkes to kidnap her. And now, here was that same guy, working alongside the man who kidnapped her.

It was... saddening, to put it lightly. To have this guy who'd seemed so worried about her working alongside her kidnapper.

"At least he'll be mad when he sees the control chips are gone," she muttered.