The Trackstar

Fall was it. Track season had gotten under way, and it was something Yasmina Fadoula could not be happier about. Running was her life. From the moment she was 5, and it would be her life until her body couldn't run anymore. Her entire summer, practically, had been spent at the gym or on the tracks, training and keeping herself fit. She'd also spent some time with her mom, watching TV and going shopping. This summer in particular, Yasmina had also participated in a few tournaments. And medaled every time, as she usually did. She was her high school's star athlete, winning every race in her high school career so far.

  School had been much of the same. She didn't care much for it. She knew there'd be an athletic sponsorship from somewhere, so long as she kept up. And injuries wouldn't stop her either. She'd competed with a torn ACL at 13, and still not finished last. She didn't quite medal, but it was good enough. One other facet of life the 15 year old didn't care for, was having friends. She could talk to people, sure. But she wasn't likely to make an active effort to do so. In her mind, having friends would be a liability. They'd want to hang out on afternoons, when she usually trained or went to the gym. It just didn't work for her.

  And, of course, being the star athlete at school meant a load of people tried to hang out. She, of course, said no. Yasmina wasn't stone-cold, but her determination and focus often gave her an intimidating aura, which tended to drive people away. So, she kept it up. It was for the better. Another thing she liked to do was jog home from school. It wasn't the longest journey, only 20 minutes, but she'd take that.

  She made her way up the steps to the+ porch of their one story home. Unlocking the door, she stepped in. The living room was a nice size, two L-shaped couches and a coffee table in the middle. On one of her couches was her mom, who was up and making her way over to Yasmina, or, as she affectionately called her daughter, 'Yaz'.

  "Hey, Yaz!" she called, raising an arm for the pair's customary high five. Yasmina grinned before their palms met for a split second. She always enjoyed the high fives. Her and her mother were super close, being the only 2 household members. She'd never had siblings, and her father left before she was even born. Thankfully, Halima Fadoula had a very financially stable career, working as a financial advisor. And, with Yasmina becoming such a sensation on the track, income wasn't hard to come by. Halima was so proud of her daughter. She felt like the luckiest mother around, with a daughter who never forgot her advice. Hard work was the reason both of them were where they are.

  "How was school?" Halima asked, sitting back down. Yasmina hung her bookbag on the rack by the door, sitting down next to her mother. She was watching a series she watched practically everyday.

  "Eh, same old. Boring, but I got my running in," Yasmina responded with a small grin. Her mother chuckled. If this were any other child, she'd give them a small lecture on the importance of education. But, Yasmina didn't exactly need it too much. At 15, her daughter had already competed internationally. There was no doubt that an athletic scholarship would come.

  Yasmina gave her mother a smile before getting up from the sofa and strolling into her room. She kicked her shoes off and got ready for a shower. In the meantime, her mother decided to make some kebabs. Yaz always did come home hungry, and she loved her mother's kebabs. When Yasmina finished showering, the pair ate their food, talking about work and school respectively. Yaz's story of the day was a bit more straightforward.

  "So... still no friends?" her mom asked. Halima loved her daughter dearly, and so she'd tried everything to help her daughter make friends. Of course, once Yasmina was around 11, Halima stopped. She understood perfectly that once adolescence was around the corner, trying to push a kid to make friends too hard would backfire. So, rather than do that, she simply tried to talk to Yasmina about how great having friends is. Yasmina never seemed to pay it too much mind.