Competition and Unsolvable Problems

The raft had failed spectacularly. They'd managed to get out a decent bit before a huge wave destroyed their means of escape and they were left on the shore. Now, they were back at camp discussing their new plan. The sky had gotten cloudy, a storm no doubt brewing. At least they got dirt washed off them? None of their previous attempts over the last 2 weeks had worked. Gyrospheres sunk, kayaks were impractical, as not even Yasmina could row for so long. They also tried to find a helicopter to fly home. When they tried, it crashed, and they were lucky not to be dead.

Brooklynn had decided that going into the tunnels and searching for a phone idea would be useful. And, it wasn't. Kenji was completely unserious in his proposal of a human catapult. But Darius was pretty set on a raft being their best chance. Brooklynn and Yasmina weren't so positive about the idea.

"There's gotta be a fix. Every problem always has a fix," he said. He turned to the only member who was yet to say anything. "Ben, what do you think?"

Ben didn't respond. He was stuck in his own head, wondering... was going back really the best for him? He understood the others, but... he'd reinvented himself on this island, and now, it was hard not to feel at home. He felt as though he was now made for Isla Nublar. He didn't know if he'd fit into or enjoy the civilian lifestyle anymore. And, he didn't want to leave Bumpy. He looked out towards the dinosaur in question. She'd been his best friend here. Even when the others thought he was dead, Bumpy was there. Even after he'd scared her off for weeks, she was there when he first beat Toro.

"Yo, jungle boy!"

Ben snapped out of his head and turned back to the others.

"Huh?"

"What do you think?" Kenji asked.

"Uh... yeah, what- you said," the boy replied. He had no idea what Kenji had said.

"Really? You think a human catapult is the best idea?" Yasmina asked. Oh.

"Oh- no, that's ridiculous. Darius is right, a raft is the way to go," he said. He'd heard that part of the conversation before he spaced out.

"Thank you!" Darius said.

"Fine," Brooklynn conceded. "Since there are no other options, raft it is."

"Awesome!" Darius said. "So, where can we scavenge a sail that we haven't already looked?"

"It's a shame we can't just go up to Lookout Point and hang glide all the way to Costa Rica. That would be so dope," Kenji said.

"Wait. What's Lookout Point?" Darius asked.

"It's up in the mountains to the west. It's like a whole deal. They've got hang gliders and everything, I used to go there all the time," Kenji bragged, something he couldn't bring himself not to do. But, that did give Darius his answer.

"Hang gliders! As in pieces of material that are literally designed to catch the wind?"

He, Brooklynn and Yasmina began to laugh in joy, with him turning to Brooklynn and the two sharing a high five.

"Hey! We could use that as a sail!" Kenji finally realized with a huge smile on his face. Bless his soul.

"Good idea, Kenji," Darius said with playful fingerguns. Again, he and Yasmina and Brooklynn broke into laughter.

"We'll head over tommorow, when the storm passes by," Darius said. The others agreed. They spent the rest of the day hanging around. Darius and Brooklynn sat down on the couch at the same time. Pretty funny coincidence, the mutual laughter would suggest.

"So, where'd you get raft experience?" Darius asked.

"Oh- it was on this one trip to the Bahamas, decided it'd be cool to raft out there. Gotta say... the water's a lot calmer up there than here," she chuckled.