Things Fall Apart

"I kept the promise dad... just hope I don't get sent home today," Darius thought to himself. The boy looked down at the raptor tooth necklace and the photo of him and his dad accompanying it. A sad, but genuine smile creeping onto his face, the kid he places the two items onto his bed. The sun was bright outside. All things pointed to what should be a great day. What Brooklynn had told him the previous night certainly had him even more pumped up. Today, things would go great. No close calls, no danger, just enjoying the majesty and brilliance of dinosaurs.

  The sound of a helicopter broke his train of thought, and he looked out through the window to see a Jurassic World themed chopper overhead. He got himself ready for the day, taking a shower and brushing his teeth. Afterwards, the 12-year old excitedly ran around the perimiter of the elevated shelter, happily busting through the wooden doors.

  "What up, Camp Cretaceous! Woohoo!" he energetically jumped around. Unfortunately, the energy wasn't returned.

  "Not in a woohoo mood this morning, Darius. Not after yesterday! Trekking through a rain storm will do that," Kenji said.

  "We only had to walk, because you crashed our gyrosphere," Ben said angrily. Though a single annoyed growl from the oldest in the group sent the boy back into hiding behind Darius.

  "But- today's a new day!" Darius said, parroting the words Brooklynn had spoken to him yesterday.

  "Kayak day! Who doesn't wanna paddle alongside dinosaurs? Real dinosaurs! It's gonna be awesome, right?" Darius tried to amp everyone up. However, he soon came to the realization that the counselors weren't in sight.

  "Wait, where are Dave and Roxie?" he asked.

  "The babysitters took off early and left this!" Kenji said, sticking a small piece of paper onto Darius's chest. Darius curiously read out the note. Now, Dave's message wasn't very easy to decipher, but Darius found the little dinosaur emoji quite endearing. Kenji quickly pointed out that Roxie had translated.

  "'We have to go talk to our boss, stay inside until we return. Draw, bond, whatever. The radio's set for channel 6 in case you need us. Stay inside, stay inside, do not leave, Kenji looking at you,'" the oldest of the 6 rolled his eyes, "'sorry for the kids' menus, it's all Dave had.'"

  "Do they understand how old we are? When was the last time you even saw a crayon?" Kenji began to complain. Ben, in response, held up a drawing of himself and the dinosaur from the lab playing chess. It was a crude, beginner level drawing. But Ben seemed happy.

  "I have notes," Yasmina commented from the sofa across. That brought a sad look to Ben's face. The doors soon opened again, light coming in. At the door stood a very, very, very unhappy Brooklynn.

  "Brooklynn, what's new on the internet, Superstar?" Yasmina casually asked.

  "I wouldn't know. Because when I went to get my phone from its charger, it wasn't there. Someone stole my phone!"

  "Brooklynn, who hasn't had your phone?" Yasmina reminded her. In unison, the campers all gave their reasons for using her phone and alibis for why they did not steal it. All but one, that is.

  Brooklynn groaned in annoyance. Her angry eyes now bore down on the one person who hadn't said anything yet. Sammy. The girl nervously brushed some hair aside.

  "I... haven't seen it either," she said.

  "Really?" Brooklynn aksed, not believing the Texan. Darius was quick to intervene.

  "Hey, hey, it's ok. Since we're not kayaking 'till later, we'll have to look for the phone," he said.

  "Oh, I think I know exactly where to look," Brooklynn said with a scoff as she paced forward, "I also think that whoever took the phone might be trying to hide some of the things that are on it. What do you think, Sammy?" she stopped next to the girl, leaning down and glaring intensely at her.