Chapter 42- Me+You=Me

**KARINA'S POV**

"Oh come on. You're definitely up to something. You suddenly stopped fighting us too! This can't be true, right?" Katie chuckled nervously, trying her best to find the lie in Chester's eyes.

"I gave up fighting because first off, 3 vs 1 is a bit unfair, second, I'm going to die anyway. With you. I realised this mid-way and it dawned upon me again, how unfair Gods are." Chester snorted, laughing at his own fate.

"No. There has to be a way out!" Katie's hand began trembling, as she began hyperventilating. I hugged her tight, knowing that what Chester was right. There was no way out because this was how it was designed.

"Why are you hugging me like that? Karina? Axel? I can't be dying this early! I mean I haven't even been of any help, I haven't even-" Katie broke down, her voice shaking as tears rolled down her cheeks. Her hand wrapped around my waist, hugging me back.

"I don't wanna die again, Karina. It... it hurts. I wanted to live now that I got a second chance. Why? Why me?" She sobbed hard, I felt her tears wet my top. I wanted to tell her that I will find a way, but I knew I couldn't.

"I'm so sorry Katie that it had to be you, I would readily give up my life for you... But there is no other way, I'm so sorry." I broke the hug and wiped off her tears.

"No no no, don't do this to me, Gods, why me? I just wanted to live again." She wailed looking upwards at the roof.

"That's how they all are. Selfish. Won't even care about their kids, forget you humans. You're so naïve for thinking that they'd be there to help you, they never did for me either. I was like you onc-" Before Chester could complete his sentence, he coughed hard and blood spilled on the floor. The same happened with Katie.

"It's starting. We may get violent around humans, you two should go. Girl, you have to accept your death, this is your destiny. You can't change it." Chester told Katie and then turned to me, "Kill that bastard Duke, he used me."

I wanted to hate him, to curse him, to kill him for he was the one that brought this upon Katie. But something in his eyes didn't let me hate him, the look of betrayal, sadness and anger, I knew it all too well. He probably had a bitter past with his Godly parent and strayed off the wrong path and got entangled in Duke's web of evil on the way.

"Katie, James will be down there, it's all okay, you won't be alone. I will come back too, I promise." I smiled at her, holding back my tears.

"No you shouldn't-" I cut off Katie before she could tell me to not come back. How could I not? After completing the mission, I'll have nothing left up here, everything of mine would be back in the Underworld. Obviously I'll go back with whatever means possible.

"And you, Cheshire or Chester or whatever your name was, repent. This was the path you chose and probably killed hundreds on the way. However much of a difficult past you had gives you no reason to hurt others." I gritted at the young boy who's eyes softened as if hurt by what I said but he also understood what I meant. He knew he was wrong. Sudden and late realisation, but he did get it.

Honestly, I wanted to protest, I wanted to throw a fit and just stay put there and die with them if that was the only way out. But did I have any other option? No, and it would be too selfish of me. I had to survive and make sure that the thing is delivered to the Clandestine Six and my pals safely to honour all of their sacrifices.

I looked at Katie one last time and hugged her tightly. I patted her back and ruffled her hair, while giving her a reassuring smile. I don't know if it were because of her younger appearance, I considered her as my little sister, and it hurt to see her crying.
"Breathe. It'll be okay, baby, it won't hurt, I promise. Say hi to James for me, will you? I'll follow you right away, just wait for me." I gave her a little kiss on her forehead and that comforted her a little. The look in her eyes showed how much this little act affected her, maybe if she had an elder sisterly or brotherly figure to support her back when she was alive, she might not have suicided. She might have got a chance to live her life to the fullest and complete her dreams. Life is unfair, isn't it?