{Epilogue II}

Xander's POV:

Everything felt so different.

When I became King, at the age of eighteen, I never thought that I would marry a secret warrior princess or fight a war to avenge my loved ones. I never thought that I would become a father to two wonderful children and anticipate the one who would be in my arms any moment.

I made good friends during this time. Insane and adventurous friends who were loyal. I did miss having Nathaniel on my side. He resumed his duties occasionally and when he didn't, he trained Gillian enough to understand what he had to do.

Gillian wasn't a complaint either. That boy was like a brother and I wanted to knight him for protecting Catheline while I was unable to. But he refused, saying that he needed more experience for such a position. He also added that he was happier the way he was; taking care of the princes.

"Papa?"

I looked away from my book and at Xavien. They became too attached to Catheline when they learned that she was pregnant. Luckily, both of them were fine with having a sister but Caspian was a bit jealous that his mother wasn't giving him attention.

For the first few months of her gestation, we kept the children in their own shared chambers. In case she wanted to...

Well, by now, I understood that pregnant wives liked to pounce on their unsuspecting husbands whenever they liked and demanded to take their rights.

But now, she was too exhausted and slept most of the time; contrary to the last time we were expecting. Gabriel and Laura brought this up to my notice and I have been concerned ever since.

"You're supposed to be asleep," I rubbed his dark hair away from his eyes.

"And so should you," he retorted with a pout.

"Well, I have some work to finish," I pointed at the journal I was reading. It recorded the time of Catheline's third pregnancy and I was reading the words of reassurance I wrote to myself. I needed them now.

"I'm not Caspian," my son said stubbornly. "I can't sleep the moment I fall on the bed."

We both glanced at his younger brother, who was fast asleep and cuddled by his mother. Xavien pulled the duvets over them and crept towards me.

"What are you doing?" he asked, shielding his eyes from the lamp light.

I smiled and kissed his forehead before pulling him closer. "You might have a little sister soon. What are your thoughts?"

"Hm..." he cuddled closer. "I think I'll be the best brother in this entire kingdom."

"You already are," I chuckled and closed the book. "But you have to be mindful of Caspian's behavior when he feels alone. Your mother might not have the time to play with him because she needs to keep an eye on your sibling."

He pouted and then nodded his head. Suddenly, his eyes gleamed. "But what will you give me in return?"

Whoever taught him this behavior should be punished. If it was Catheline, she should be severely punished. I glanced at her and found her stirring. Maybe it wasn't her. My bets were on Eliot or Aaron.

"Listen, Xavien," I placed a hand over his shoulder. "Sometimes, you have to do a favor without expecting anything in return. It shows that you're doing it with the kindness of your heart."

He understood whatever a five-year-old could absorb. I smiled and patted his head. "Now, let's sleep." Your mother would skin me if she knew I let you stay up at night was what I wanted to say though.