{Chapter 48}

Xander's POV:

I observed the man kneeling in front of me. He could not have been any older than me. From what I noticed, he looked like a normal guard.

"You may rise. What do you wish to convey?" I said loudly, slightly apprehensive about this situation.

The man nodded and stood up. He too was nervous, as if he had seen something petrifying.

"I know that I have come unannounced. But I have something very significant to say, Your Majesty," He said, slowly and politely.

Nathaniel glanced at me unsurely. This man was plausible and seemed to know what his role is. Somehow, I had a faint idea of what he wanted to express. I nodded, making him place his hand in the pocket of his breeches.

"My family has been with the Esther family for as long as I can remember. They are nice people...and that is my impression of them until last night..." He explained, holding a small roll of paper in his hands.

I had no emotions to express. Not even shock or disappointment. Deep down, I always knew the road would lead to this end. I simply took the paper from his hands and read it.

"Duke Darwin had been drunken out of his wits last night. And by the things he said..." The man said sadly but stopped at the end due to hesitation.

"I know what he would have told you," I told him calmly, passing the paper for Nathaniel to take a look.

Nathaniel frowned as soon as he was finished reading. He returned it to me and glanced at the man.

"Why did you come here to inform us of your Lord's betrayal? You swore loyalty to him," he inquired the man.

The man paused for a brief moment before bowing his head.

"I did. But that man does not deserve my blind loyalty. And...in truth, I never liked that place. I felt imprisoned and chained up. I only had to work there until now because that was my father's dying wish,"

I stared at him as he was carried away by his story. Fidgeting with the paper in my hands, I sighed.

"Why would you do this? What do you want to achieve from this?" I questioned, looking at his face directly.

The man seemed shocked by my sudden inquiries. But he regained himself and returned with a fiery and determined look.

"The people love their King. They would do anything to defend him from usurpers and scum. In the end, no matter who I work for, my true commitment is to you, Your Majesty. I wish to fight for you and if needed, die for you. According to me, there is no honourable death than that,"

For a long time, the room remained silent. Even I was taken aback by his extraordinary statements. I looked at Nathaniel and he was just as stunned as I was.

I had no right to deny that I was moved by this young man. But how can I be sure that he means what he says? What if this is all a scheme of Duke Esther and I am falling for his tricks?

"You passed evidence against your Lord for your King. You have done a great service to me. Tell me, what do you want as a reward?" I asked him.

It was expected of me to reward the people who had done great for the kingdom. The man looked at me, in horror.

"I did not do this for any personal gain, Your Majesty," he quickly blurted out, gesturing with his hands.

"So...you want nothing to return?"

He nodded. When I kept on staring at him before hesitated for a bit before glancing away.

"If I could request a reward, I would like it if Duke Esther gets punished for his crimes," he mumbled coherently.