{Chapter 44}

Xander's POV:

"I am so sorry for you, child,"

I glanced at the man who returned an unhappy look. He was shocked by what I told him. After reaching my study, I decided to confide in him about all the happenings in these few months. How my life turned upside down.

"You don't have to be," I told him calmly.

"If I knew what was going to happen...I would have never let your parents leave Anthreal at all..."

I acknowledged his grief and bowed my head down. Hilan Corrington was my father's guard who was ordered to stay behind to ensure my safety. If he had gone there, he would have been killed off as well. Only three soldiers out of seventy returned from that dreadful accident as I was told by Lady Daraa.

"I understand how upset you must be..."

"I know," I replied. "Every day I fear...Fear for how many men who swore loyalty to me would turn up to be traitors."

Hilan nodded and looked away. He always trusted everyone blankly. After hearing about William Sunster's deeds, he was deeply surprised and needed a few moments to regain composure.

"So...I have to know that everyone I care for wouldn't betray me at all costs," I told him. "Would you betray me, Hilan?"

The man looked at me, slightly surprised. I did not want to question him about his loyalty. But I just wanted to make sure that I would not suffer another deception.

"House Corrington is pledged to the royal family for nearly two centuries." He stated calmly. "My loyalty is clear, Your Majesty. Not just because you are the King. But also because you have a good heart,"

I was stunned and moved by his words. He smiled at my reaction and looked towards the window.

"I still remember the day when you saved that wolf pup. It was that day, that I knew..."

"Knew what?"

"How you would defend this kingdom." He replied. "Your reign would have hardships. But in the end, every good deed will count. Those who did bad would receive bad. That is the law of men,"

"Why do you trust me, Hilan?" I asked him, after a pause. "Why would people trust me? Is it because I am my father's son?"

He looked at me with his eyes piercing into mine. I could feel him staring at my soul.

"You are your father's son and he is his father's son." He replied simply. "But it's your beliefs that set you apart," 

"What do you mean?"

"Your grandfather was a conqueror. He was made for battle. Your father was the peace bringer. His reign may be short but it gave Anthreal the stability it needed after years of war,"

"And...what am I?"

"You, boy, are the defender." He spoke with an air of confidence. I could feel the impact those words had. He seemed to have noticed that as he went on.

"You would protect this kingdom from your usurping uncle. You were always the protector, Your Majesty. After all, I witnessed many times,"

How can I be a protector? Do I truly deserve that title?

"Besides, he has no chance to sit on the throne." Hilan continued. "At my prime, I was not much of a gossiper. Hence, I never bothered to learn about your uncle."

"Then why do people choose him!?" I asked, strained due to my thoughts. "Why don't they believe in me?"

"Because they do not believe in good!" Hilan Corrington yelled at me. "They are filled with greed for power and you know that. Hence, you refused to give them what they wanted. Your father was too kind to see through them, but you are not,"