{Chapter 15}

Catheline's POV:

It had been a week since the incident. I have not heard from Xander but people say that he is in a bad mood. I was sure that he was, as his only lead to achieving something was dead.

No one knew how Willaim Sunster ended up dead in his prison cell, except me. At last, my husband must have concluded that someone must have silenced him to keep his secrets safe.

But, tonight I was going to help him attain the information he needed. I had this plan to tell him what I have learned from Duke Sunster and how to pull this off. After preparing everything, I jumped out of the window and secretly climbed onto a big tree.

I chose the perfect time to latch on to the window of the King's study. I stood on the ledge and took a deep breath, I peeped at the dark room and to my surprise, it was empty.

I averted my gaze back to the gardens. I remember Xander saying that he liked that place.

Could he be there?

While thinking of a new plan, I jumped off the ledge carefully and sneaked into the gardens. The stealth lessons I took the I was young were very helpful now.

I put my senses and surveyed the surroundings for suspicious activities. So far, it was peaceful and everything seemed to be in its place. Before approaching my beloved place, I halted.

Was this all a bad idea?

I shook my head but could not move. Was this even worth it? Maybe I did get too pertained to my husband's business. Was I swimming or sinking to the bottom of the vast ocean? Will I be able to ever find the surface again?

A sudden movement behind me brought me back to reality. Without a thought, I pulled my sword out and turned back.

To my surprise, it was a gigantic wolf, staring back at me with its big bright eyes.

Lestor.

Though I knew him, he should not. I was Lady Cassandra. That was the specialty of animals. They do not need an illustration to identify a person but only need their scent.

Lestor was staring at me suspiciously while I stood still. After mere moments, he approached me quietly.

'Do not run,' I thought to myself. There was no way I could outrun a wolf. Also, I knew what it was capable of.

I stood, motionless, while Lestor approached me and started sniffing around. It was only a matter of seconds before he started wagging his tail, as he recognized me. That was a surprise.

I gave him a small smile before patting him on the head.

"I did not realize that you were familiar with him,"

I turned back, startled, only to see my husband. He looked tired and depressed but still did not fail to look elegant. His face was bathing in the light of a full moon. He was studying me as if searching for an answer.

At that moment, I recalled my purpose. Without a second thought, I pulled out a rolled piece of paper I hid in my sleeve and approached him quietly.

I could sense his alertness but he stood his ground. After retaining an appropriate distance, I raised my hand to give him the paper.

"How is my wolf familiar with you?" He asked me after glancing at the paper roll.

I paused before looking back at Lestor but found him sitting next to my legs. I looked back at Xander and shook my head.

"You do not know him?" Xander enquired me suspiciously.

I nodded my head as a yes. Xander gazed at me before taking the paper unhurriedly. I knew he would not buy that and hence, I must be careful.