{Chapter 95}

Catheline's POV:

"You seem to be in good spirits, Your Grace!"

I shook my head and looked at Lucy, who was holding some of the documents to be overseen. She had a mild smirk on her face, once again reminding me of the night that happened five days ago. It seemed that I screamed louder than I should that might.

The maids never stopped gossiping about it, even if I ordered them to. Even Karra, who was currently in the kitchens, commented that there was a blush on my face that would never be gone.

She was right. The redness hadn't disappeared but I didn't regret that night at all.

"I'll be gone for at least two weeks," Xander whispered weakly as he pulled me closer. "Will you be alright?"

Although I did assure him that night, quite the contrary happened. He left the very next morning and because of my exhaustion, I couldn't wake up early or even walk in fact. The soreness still hadn't been gone between my legs and it was almost shameful enough to admit to myself that I still wanted more.

"Just get the papers, you wicked girl," I chided, as she walked toward my desk and began handing me the papers one by one.

Alright. Now I had to concentrate on my duties. Since Xander was not present in the castle, I had more things to oversee. He did leave me a letter, instructing me on some important things like keeping a lookout for any news from Sulfia or from the group we sent to Visalore.

"What's this?" I questioned, as I looked at the supplies that were bought by the castle this month.

Usually, the merchants would be paid beforehand to confirm the product's quality. We clearly ordered fifty sacks of wheat. But according to the reports, only twenty arrived. I twirled the quill between my fingers before concluding.

"Go find Sir Vincent," I told Lucy, placing the papers on the desk.

She bowed and walked out of the room, allowing me to give it a thought. Accounts say that wheat production has been good this year. The merchant that the castle ordered from was from another city near the capital, Rikfere.

In the books that the late Lady Daraa had left me, it clearly stated that the merchant had been supplying quality products and in numbers for the last ten years.

So...something must have happened.

"You called for me, Your Grace?" the door opened, revealing Vincent. I urged him to come in and shut the door.

"There seems to be something wrong with one of the deliveries," I told him, passing the paper. "I want you to go in person and investigate it,"

The twins were currently tailing Xander and were near the Sunster's residence. Sending the newest members of the league would be sick since they have no clue idea of how to deal with this. But Vincent is the perfect person to go.

"But I'm supposed to stay here with you," he pointed out, concerned. "For your safety---"

"I will be fine for a day," I smiled, taking back the paper. "Nothing is going to happen,"

I understood his fears. Every time Xander left the castle, something ominous happened. The last few times were pleasant but the one before...

This wheat problem was more than it seemed. The last time the food had been tampered with, I lost my child. Even if everything was supervised with intense care, I still lost him.

I couldn't be careless about this.

"You need to talk to the merchant and find out why they didn't send the required quota," I interlaced my fingers and closed my eyes. "They know how important their duty is. I assume that many know about their business with us too. If there is any tampering..."