{Chapter 91}

Catheline's POV:

One day.

Just one day left for his birthday.

For the last two months, I saw improvement and changes. Not only in myself but the ones around me. My rules and overseeing didn't fail and turned into a disaster. My duties felt more like a friend, a close companion.

The winter snow had melted away the gush of warmth and spring was near the edge. The snow was gone but not the cold winds. Soon, they all will be replaced with the warmth of spring and different scents of flowers around the castle gardens.

I was right there, walking through the blue roses while stroking the ones in full bloom tenderly. This was the heart of the gardens, my most precious and beloved area. Hence, everyone knew how precise and cautious they had to be when caring for it. I felt the sprouting grass brushing past my footwear, feeling giddy from all my plans for tomorrow. 

"He doesn't want a big celebration," I told Sir Vincent as we paced on the soft ground. "But I can't let it pass uncelebrated,"

"There shall be more festivities to come when the war is over, Your Grace," the man replied eloquently. His sky-blue and white clothes radiated in the sun's rays. Even here, he wore the uniform assigned to the knights in Peliasse.

"Have any news from the arrangement of the troops?" I questioned, clasping my hands and coming to a halt.

There was an outburst of hundreds of soldiers and their mounts, sent by different kingdoms who allied with Anthreal. Dalia and Quenisa had already sent their lot and combined with the army of this kingdom, the numbers reached seventy thousand. Dalia had contributed quite the much, twenty thousand alone, and would send more if needed.

The ones from Peliasse would take more time to arrive for weather reasons and soon, within a month they too would arrive. By the passing days, I was getting more aware that the real march would begin soon. The moment they receive intelligence from the spies they had sent to the enemy's territory.

I felt Xander's tense form whenever he received a letter from there. So far, we got the news that all five men had reached the place safely and soon would enact their scheme. Letters were hard to send as the security seemed tight there. The messenger birds must be guarded and overseen with caution, just the same as how things went around in Anthreal.

Xander stationed the foreign armies near the borders, closer to the Sunster's residence as there were large empty fields there. Having so much population in the capital might interfere with people's daily lives and chores.

Through all of this, my men, the ones Vincent suggested, grew to the number of twenty. Since Xander had to leave and discuss possible plans and accommodations in person, he had to leave the castle several times at the least. Her men came useful as she sent a few of them behind him in secret and so far, they hadn't been caught. She knew that Carlos and Zane were reliable, even if they didn't seem so serious or professional.

So far, there had been no attacks or revelations of secret cults or bases. But I knew that by the passing day, fewer people are being uprooted and revealed of treason. I had the twins go around and look for anyone suspicious. Any crime was not too small. Peace had to be enforced thoroughly, even by force.

In any packets of free time I got, I held my sword once again, getting familiar with the sways and swings. Sometimes, I wished that I could prowl the streets along with the men I chose and give hope to people that the future will be bright.

I held a hand to my head, going over the surprise plan I made for Xander tomorrow. I doubted if he even knew about it. But I concealed that I knew from him.