{Chapter 86}

Xander's POV:

It was hard. But just like how the ice melted, my heart was convinced that it was for the best indeed. It had been two days since the incident and it still lingered in my heart like regret.

Captivity was turning Lestor into an angry and uncontrollable creature. I hated what I had to do to make him leave but hearing his painful howls almost made me tear up. Just like I did when I first found him.

Soon, I had to force myself to focus on my other important duties. Currently, I stood in the empty council chambers, glancing over the large map that was laid across the table.

The man Catheline found, turned out to be a man of genius. He added additional details to the map. All the kingdoms we had to cross were now displayed on the map with elegant art. And there was a hurdle we didn't expect.

"Sulfia is a proportionate kingdom, not bigger than our own. But..."

"Go on," I muttered, glancing at the illustration of the country.

The man hesitated. I gave him a quick look and he smiled nervously. He was the keeper of books and records who retired from the castle after working for almost fifty decades. I had to call him back, regarding some information. Luckily, he was one healthy and energetic man.

"Your grandfather," he sighed. "He...had a small dispute with the King, Your Majesty,"

I shut my eyes in frustration. "What did he do?"

The man seemed quite hesitant and I almost assumed what it must be. "He...He refused to trade with them and behaved rudely with them when the then King arrived with his family. In open court, he...he very much attempted to take his wife as a lover---"

I slammed my fists on the table before placing one of them on my head. That made the two people present in the room as quiet as a wall but the man continued.

"...who was much older than himself...At that time, he was simply seventeen years of age---"

"How the hell am I related to him?" I mumbled, glancing at Nathaniel. He held a sympathetic expression.

"Thankfully, you only happen to inherit all the good qualities, Your Majesty," he responded.

That did less to reassure me. I glanced at the old man and caught him staring at me.

"There is more!?" I grunted, making him take a step back.

"The King of Sulfia declared war over the insult of his wife, even if nothing happened between the two and...Anthreal crushed them before they could even make their first move,"

The problem of the past was damning me in the present. May the one above show no peace to the man behind this. Day by day, I grew angrier at the one who was supposed to be a wise military general. Seemingly, that was his one true quality.

"The new King of Sulfia, his great-grandson is known to be stubborn as feasible, Your Majesty," Nathaniel reported accordingly. "His father passed away before he could have the throne. Reports say that the now King spread prosperity throughout the kingdom,"

"What are the chances of him letting us through his gates? I questioned, glancing at the map. "As seen here, there is a river that blocks our way to Visalore,"

"Um..." Nathaniel mumbled. "Well, the past is in the past. Hopefully, this King would understand how different you are from your predecessor and act wise. Just like the King of Sealore,"

I nodded and hoped the same. Just then, the old man spoke.

"Your father...he intended to establish peace between the kingdoms," He stated, making me rooted to the spot. Well...that was before he..."