{Chapter 5}

Catheline's POV:

Finally, I was free.

My real nature and true feelings could be put out now that I was once again me.

After what happened, I made arrangements to leave the castle in disguise, to calm my mind. It was the most efficient method that helped me the most.

Leaving the castle was not an easy achievement. I had to choose a careful secret passage that helped me get out of there without being noticed or traced.

I jumped over the trees, one by one, minding the branches and my footing. This was what I wanted to be worried about. Instead of keeping myself pretty and presentable, now, I only had to worry about not falling.

The forests of this kingdom never failed to mesmerize me. Seeing the vast green surroundings reminded me of my childhood.

.................................................................

I was twelve.

I and my father had arranged an entourage to visit the forests. I was playing on the trees, trying to balance myself as I practiced many times before.

"Father look! I did it!" I yelled at my father, as I turned around my neck sideways.

"Be careful little one," He shouted back,  his eyes wide and filled with fear. "Do not lose your footing!"

"Of course, I shall never---" I tried to respond.

But with a single crack, I slipped off the branch, shrieking. Before I could land on the ground on my back with a loud thud, my father rushed and caught me safely in his arms.

"I told you to be careful, Cathy..." he said and carefully placed me on the ground.

"Sorry Father," I pouted and noticed that many others were watching me with relief, pleased that I was not hurt.

"My heart almost stopped when I saw you fall," he said and held my hand. "Are you hurt?"

I shook my head and he nodded before leading me back to our carriage. I knew I had frightened him.

"You need more practice," I heard him say as looked up at him. "Until then, you are not allowed to even touch a tree,"

.................................................................

A smile appeared on my lips as I relived that memory of my cherished past. I was carefully climbing down a large oak tree and landed on my feet with a slight thud.

That was years ago. But now, I was much stronger than I was back then. My mood had elevated by the least as I began walking forward, exploring the forest with my eyes. This was all much better than the sight of the castle, where I was always suppressed and alone.

Now, I had nature as my company. And I did not hate it.

I adjusted my mask carefully while looking around when I suddenly heard a strange sound. I turned around to observe in all directions but I found no one nearby. Assuming that it was simply a figment of my imagination, I shrugged and walked forward.

But then, I heard the sound of footsteps. Keeping a hand on the hilt of my sword, I rushed forward while trying not to make a single noise. After a few moments, I noticed someone and quickly hid behind the trunk of a tree. Luckily, it was large enough to conceal my presence.

"We can deal with the guards," a deep voice said. "And with Nathaniel,"

"Do you think that we can take on Nathaniel, Carlos?" I heard another voice ask. "He is quite trained from what I heard,"