{Chapter 117}

Catheline's POV:

"Xander is returning soon. We have to make preparations for welcoming them, niece."

I smiled at King Julian, Xander's uncle. Nearly six months had passed since we heard that Xander had won. When I received his first letters in months, I teared up.

'My precious wife. How are you? How is our child? I'm assuming that he or she is safe in your arms right now. Wait for me to get to you two.'

I looked at Xavien, who was resting in his cradle beside me. My child had a soft toy clutched in his arm and he rested on his stomach. He looked up at me and his dark blue eyes twinkled with joy.

"He looks like Xander when he was born," my uncle-by-law fawned. "And just like his father, he loves his mother's company the most."

"That's because he hadn't seen his father yet," I laughed and caressed my child's cheek. His lips curled upward in a big smile.

We heard a knock on our door. It turned out to be Drake Sierre, Julian's son. Both of them were here to welcome Devin. I wished that my father was here but understood that he wouldn't make it.

'Peliasse here needs me, daughter. I hope you and Xavien are fine.'

He had sent many letters through my hawk and I could still sense that he was angry at me. Well, I was more displeased at him forcing Xander into making that contract.

'Whatever I did, I did it to protect you, Catheline. If I had to do it again, I would without hesitation. Because I know you better than anyone, child.'

After having Xavien, I began understanding his thoughts and actions. I would've done the same to protect my child.

"Hello, Xavien," Drake gushed while pinching his cheek lightly. He looked at me. "I need to talk to my father."

"Is it something about the armies?" I asked, creasing my eyebrows.

"I would've let you know if that was the case," he smiled and looked at his after. The man sighed before getting to his feet and bidding farewell to my child and me.

After they left, I watched the door for some time before glancing at Xavien. It was about time he spoke his first word. A few nights ago, he was mumbling something gibberish that sounded sensible. I'd been trying to make him say 'mama' but he wouldn't budge.

"Why wouldn't you say it, Xavien?" I stood up and put on my cloak. I pulled him into my arms and draped over a woolen shawl. He giggled and waved his toy before resting his tiny head on my shoulder.

I grinned and left the sitting room. Gillian was waiting outside and smiled when he saw me. "Where are we going now, Your Grace?"

"To the gardens."

Gillian looked disapprovingly. "You can't stand the cold."

"But Xavien loves the snow," I tried to reason. When I brought him outside he witnessed his first winter, he giggled and tried to catch some snowflakes. It was fortunate that he didn't inherit my aversion to the cold.

We walked through the warm halls and soon reached the entrance to the gardens. The cold wind began blowing against my face and I sighed.

"Look at that, Xavi," I whispered, covering him with the shawl. He turned his head and looked ahead.

"I think this is his favorite season," Gillian rested his hands on the rail.

I agreed with him. From what I knew, Gillian didn't appreciate little children. But even since he became the godfather of my child, he began softening up. Often, I found him talking to Xavien in hushed tones.