{Chapter 74}

Catheline's POV:

I stood near the window as I watched the falling snow from the skies. It was the night of my birthday and anticipation never attacked me this much before.

"I have one final gift to present to you, my love."

"Wait for me,"

And so I did. Nearly two hours passed by and he was nowhere nearby. I wondered why he had decided to give this one to me at last. Maybe it was something more special and valuable. With a sigh, I shut the doors of the window and pulled the curtains close.

I had more discussions with my brother and Sir Vincent. According to them, the knight was to stay with me, for my protection as per my father's orders. My brother, Lady Michelle, and their entourage were to leave a week later when the snow calmed down.

I walked toward the bed and looked at the mirror my mother had gifted me. It was on the mattress and I gently took it in my hand.

I glanced at my reflection and smiled. Karra had dolled me up for some reason but I did not ponder on that thought for too long. I sighed and held the mirror in both of my hands, imagining the time when my mother once held it. I kept the letter she gave me in one of the drawers of my new study.

She guessed most of my life right. But it was hard for me to imagine her anymore. There were many portraits of her. And her family had visited us quite a few times. She must have loved me and my father dearly. To be honest, I wished to meet her.

The door opened and I turned around, knowing who was going to enter. I smiled as he walked toward me and reached my side.

"You look disturbed," he said and pulled me closer.

"Not disturbed," I denied, showing him the mirror. "Just...distracted by strange thoughts,"

"Strange thoughts?"

I passed him the object I held cautiously. We did not have much time to discuss the meaning behind this present.

"Do you miss her?"

I looked at him for a while and shrugged. "Maybe,"

He returned a curious look before observing the mirror once more. "I did not expect such a strange response at all,"

My lips curled faintly before he returned it. I kept it on the night table and glanced at the empty cage. I decided to send a letter to my father as quickly as possible to thank him. I thought that Ferus might not agree with it at first but he seemed eager to take it. I was also wearing the necklace he gifted me.

"What about my new parakeets?" I asked my husband as I turned to him. "I would love to see them,"

He walked forward and stood one foot away from me. "More than me?"

A sudden shiver ran down my body at his tone. So now he was jealous of my new friends. I shook my head and neared him.

"I would love to see you too," I consoled him and held his arm. "But I am being serious now, Xander. Where would they stay? You know how much I like---" 

"Calm down, wife," he interrupted calmly. Unexpectedly, his hands slid down mine until he held them. "I will have them taken care of. I just..."

"You just?..."

"Want some time with you alone,"

I remembered the words that he spoke this evening. He told me to wait. He said that he had one last thing to give me.

"We will have a lot of time to spend together now, husband," I assured him with a nod.

He looked at me, with such a look that I could not comprehend. But it was not a look that promised anything good.