{Chapter 100}

Xander's POV:

She was never going to forgive me. But I truly wanted to surprise her with an early visit. And hence, I hadn't informed her of my return. I was desperate to see my wife, wanting to talk about the accomplishments she had achieved.

The twins had returned to their domain, which they did inform me of. I took a liking to them as each gave no reason to dislike them. Skilled in combat and had easygoing minds.

But I wasn't expecting to see Karra near the entrance as if she had been waiting for me and the others to arrive. Her face was pale as she bowed, looking like she had seen the dead rise.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, all tired from the journey. And then, I looked at Leon. "Did you tell her about our coming?"

Leon shook his head firmly. "I wouldn't dare."

Well, that was true. But there had to be some sort of explanation. And that was when Karra burst into an explanation.

"The Queen wanted something and hence I sent someone out, Your Majesty," she said, her voice trembling.

I decided that it was reasonable. As it was proved, Catheline had way more work than I assumed. It was important for me to talk with her about it.
.................................................................

Something was wrong.

It had been an hour since I had freshened up and read the letters on my desk. I was told that my wife had been taking a bath. She never told me that she enjoyed taking long baths. Even if that was the case, what if she had been angry at me and decided to ignore me?

First, she would give me a long lecture and then slam the door at me. When she hadn't popped into my study, that was when I realized something felt strange.

Hence I decided to wait for her in our room, with as much patience as I could. Near the nightstand, I rested the two wooden figurines she had gifted me. Often, I took glances at the door, hoping that Catheline would walk in.

She didn't.

At last, I concluded that she might have been angry with me. It wasn't my intention to irritate her at all. I made myself towards her study and noticed the silent chill surrounding the halls. When I reached the door, I knocked on it calmly. Usually, Lucy or Sir Vincent would be there. But there was no one.

The eerie feeling wouldn't abandon me, even if I dismissed it. After taking a deep breath, I decided to open the door and was met with darkness. The room was empty, except for the birds Catheline loved which made noises when he approached them.

No.
.................................................................

"She's nowhere to be found!" I shouted at Nathaniel.

The gardens, the summer house, and her old rooms: all the places that she could have been at were being searched. Yet there was no trace of her.

"Sir Vincent had arrived at the gates late at night with someone. But by the afternoon, he and that stranger had returned." The guard at the gate reported as he looked at the ground. "Since they held a letter sealed by the Queen, we didn't dare question them, Your Majesty."

I was losing my mind. All that was important was Catheline. Where was she?

"Get out and keep your eyes on alert," I dismissed the guard. After the man left, Nathaniel took a step forward and came up with a suggestion.

"We have to interrogate the Queen's maids, Your Majesty,"

I paused. I didn't dare to harm Catheline's companions. But I was left with no choices. "All the guards should search every inch of this castle until they find my wife. Bring Karra here,"