{Chapter 35}

Xander's POV:

The castle was dead silent. I wanted it to stay that way. The light from the torches, ablaze at every part of the hallway, gave a clear path in front.  My mind was still disturbed by all the incidents, the words I heard, and the future I had to look forward to.

I decided that a friendly pace would not hurt. That was where I met Nathaniel. He looked very shocked to see me, as if he had seen the dead arise: it was hard to blame him.

"Your Majesty," he greeted, his face pale. "May I dare to ask how you are feeling?"

"I...do not feel the same," I replied after a pause, as the icy winds hit my hair. Not after what I heard.

"There is something that you need to know," Nathaniel said tersely. "It concerns the Queen,"

"Catheline..." I mumbled, my voice rising. I remembered this morning. "What about her? Is she alright?" 

"She waited for you outside your chambers," he replied, avoiding my eyes. "For hours. We managed to convince her to take a rest. And she had asked me about you just an hour ago."

Catheline was stubborn and it reached a peak in the past few months. Why risk the safety of our child? When a mother had a child to look forward to, it became her dearest value that she would protect at all costs. Why tire herself for me?

"How is she?"

"The doctor says that she is fine. But please meet her the first thing tomorrow."

I looked at the sky. There were no clouds tonight which let the stars sparkle and the moon glow in a soft, dim light. I stared at the gardens, wordless. No movement.

"I would like to see her now,"

"But Your Majesty, it is past the middle of the night-"

"I would like to see her. That's all,"
.................................................................

When we reached the outside of the Queen's chambers, we found her maid, near her room. She immediately made a surprised noise when she saw me.

"Your Majesty," she bowed. She sounded stunned as she hadn't anticipated my arrival.

"Is the Queen asleep?"

"The...The Queen has trouble sleeping tonight, Your Majesty," the girl said, looking at the door with concern. "She does not appreciate the cold tonight,"

Some part of me itched with guilt. Was she worried for me? If yes I was the most insensible fool. It wasn't as if I didn't want to see her: I simply didn't want her to see me in such a state. She had enough troubles to deal with at the moment. I glanced at Nathaniel, before looking back at the door. He let out a nod before dismissing the girl.

What would she say?

Both options made sense if it came to her. I had faced worse than this, but dealing with an emotional wife was something I feared the most at the moment. Gathering all my courage that was left, I unlocked the door.

The room was dark, except for the glowing lamp near the bed. And there she was.

I was facing her back as she moved her head occasionally. After observing that movement for a few moments, I realized that she held a book, reading. And soon enough, I heard the faint sound of a page being flipped.

"Catheline?"

She lifted her head and I was waiting for her to turn, but she never did. Instead, she bent over her book as if she never heard me. What was going on?