{Chapter 96}

Catheline's POV:

The next morning was troublesome for everyone. I had to calm them down and organized everything overnight. Why weren't we informed beforehand? Why such a sudden visit? But I had my questions and answers.

I waited near the gates as expected and soon saw a small entourage of ten men entering the pathway, led by one specific man. He must be the main messenger. But why did he need so many other companions?

"I hope the journey went pleasant, Good sirs," I spoke, clasping my hands together. The first man jumped off his horse and eyed me before answering.

"You must be the Queen?" he asked, with a quirked eyebrow. "Queen Catheline?"

"You are not wrong,"
.................................................................

We walked through the halls and the man followed, although he was a little disappointed that Xander was not here.

"He would surely be there to receive you if we were informed beforehand," I told him calmly, hiding my words carefully. If we were informed.

The man seemed to have noticed it and smiled. "We doubted if letters would reach the right hands,"

A smart conclusion. I stopped at a particular room's door. "All accommodations are prepared. Just let me know if you need to speak. The guards shall lead you to the council chambers,"

The man stopped, giving me a confused look. "But I thought the King wasn't here,"

"But the Queen is here, isn't she?"
.................................................................

It was so stressful. Karra and Lucy were constantly fluttering about words of advice and complaints.

"We should have informed the King!"

"Even Sir Vincent isn't here! It's such a disaster..."

Yes. I did keep this from Xander. This was a political issue and he should be here doing the negotiations instead. But in his last letter, he notified me that he might have to stay near the Sunster's residence for at least another week.

"Keep quiet!" I shouted at the two before resting my hands on the railing. "Let me think..."

I stood there for quite some time before noticing something peculiar. The man didn't seem so ordinary. The way he walked and the way he looked. Even in those ordinary attire, he just simply didn't seem like a normal person. And his companions...

When Xander sent our envoy, he only sent him alone. Sending many to guard the envoy represents mistrust in most cases. Sulfia had every reason to despise her. But...it could also be another thing.

"He thinks I'm to be underestimated," I sighed, looking down at the gardens. "But he does forget one thing. I am not only the Queen but also represent the King in his absence. I don't need any man. I can do the negotiations myself,"

Karra and Lucy exchanged looks as I smiled. Now, everyone will know what power means. The plot was well hidden but not in my eyes. I saw everything through a small seam.
.................................................................

"Here is the letter sent by my King,"

After an hour or so, we reached the council chambers and outside stood his companions. I ignored the entirety and hence, the discussion began.

"You are rather silent, sir," I noted, glancing at him before reading the words aloud. "I, Samuel Boman, King of Sulfia make it all in my best interest to discuss peace terms. The envoy sent represents me there and shall be treated with respect and dignity."