{Chapter 116}

Arista's POV:

I was asleep, with Draye by my side when I heard noises outside the window. My eyes jerked open when I recognized those screams and I jumped out of bed. I looked through the window to see soldiers moving around, weapons in hands.

What was happening?

At the same moment, Draye began stirring and I moved toward him and cradled him in my arms. My child looked distressed and I began singing whatever lullaby I knew. But he burst into wailing when a loud shout rang across the room.

My mind was unraveling and I did what I could do: take my child and step out. I didn't know what danger was out there. What I could do was do everything to protect my child.

When I did walk out, I saw the servants scrambling in the halls. But they weren't...running away? I moved forward and stopped one of them for an explanation.

"Lady Sunster..."

"What are those shouts?" I asked, trying to calm down Draye.

"They are fighting outside," she said frantically. "Your brother's men are trying to defeat this new army."

My shoulders slumped as I looked at the hallways. New army? It was obvious that the other party wasn't enemies. Could it be?...

"Arista!"

My feet took me forward and I tried to find the person. After a quick turn, I saw Shayne at the further end. When he saw me, he paused for a moment. As if he was wondering if I was real or an illusion.

I felt relieved that he came back. That he was alive.

"Shayne..."

He sprinted across the room in a flash before pulling me into his arms. I moved away to show him that I had Draye in my arms. He looked at him before breaking into a teary smile.

"You're fine," he breathed. "Both of you."

"And you're alright..." I replied, barely able to control my emotions. I wanted to hug him like I never could before. "You came back for me."

"I did promise, didn't I, my lady?" he dared as much as holding my arm.

I realized that I barely paid any attention to the atmosphere. I saw people moving across us quietly in crowds. When Shayne noticed that, he placed his hand over my shoulder.

"Come with me. You'll find the answer."

I did want to know what he did all these months ago. To know what he experienced. But that could wait. First, I needed to know what was going on.

When we walked through the halls, I discovered several doors and places I had never seen before in this part of the castle. To walk here when I had been forbidden to all these months...it felt new.

We reached large open doors. I readjusted Draye in my arms before peeking at the large hall. All the servants and workers and a few soldiers were gathered inside. Something different that I noticed was the large black banners with blue roses hung on the walls. Were they always here?

Shayne led me inside and I followed him blindly until I reached the front. And when I did, I froze.

There stood a man, with dark red hair. For a moment, I thought he was Martin. He was talking to people who seemed to be soldiers but stopped to look at me.

His eyes were much warmer than Martin's. This couldn't be him.

When I neared me, I moved back. He noticed that and stopped. "I won't harm you, Lady Cyvern."