{Chapter 82}

Xander's POV:

A week had passed by without a hustle. The news of what I had done had spread like fire across the kingdom. Though, the reports had been positive.

I ordered the others to find and raid any other treacherous organizations with the same wrath. This incident seemed to do me good as my mind grew sharper and something called fear left my mind and soul. I felt braver in my judgments and it felt satisfactory.

This was sending a strong message to my enemy.

Whatever he had done seemed to make my people despise him more. They would rebel if what the enemy wanted became true. But it shall not.

All the relationships I had seemed to improve too. Daraa, for instance, had been talking to me more often, and I finally understood how blind I had been to her feelings. I very much appreciated all the lessons she ever taught me.

"You surely have to meet the Queen. You seem to miss her every moment, Xander," 

I looked at Daraa and smiled slightly as I returned to reality. We were in her chambers and were simply discussing near the warmth of the fires.

"She seems busy enough," I sighed as I leaned forward from the chair. "But I can still sense anger from her, Daraa. She is not happy that I hid that incident from her,"

"She is simply concerned for you," Daraa stated, pulling her shawl closer. "Do not give more reasons for her to despise you, you stupid boy,"

Hearing such a strong disdain from her made me chuckle. Even she seemed to join me in my fit. Not even a hint of anger sparked in my head at her words and for some reason, I was glad.

"You know why I hid it from her," I shrugged, and leaned back on the chair. "I fear even mentioning the word 'child' in her presence. That day...I never felt more helpless,"

"This is not your fault, boy," Daraa gave me a look. "The only guilt I have in my life are two things; not stopping your mother and not being able to protect your child,"

She looked away while I stared at her thoughtfully. What passed had passed. There was nothing I could do anymore. We can not change the past, but we can shape the future.

"A few months ago, I had no courage to face the past," I confessed. "If I was such a slave to my emotions, how can I be strong whenever it was expected of me?" Daraa was silent but I knew that she listened. "Her love changed everything. Her love changed me. And...I felt more empowered because I had something to fight for. Someone to love,"

"You must never forget one thing, Xander," I felt her tone sharpening like a knife. "You must be wise in your decisions and always stand strong. Do not be a reed in a swamp, swayed by every other feeling. Stand tall and proud like an oak tree. Stand and show them that no one and nothing can hurt you anymore,"

It was easier spoken than being done. But her words always made sense. I nodded and glanced at her while she shifted in her stance.

"Let me tell you one more thing, boy," she began. Her tone piqued my interest. "When I was a child, I had been at my weakest. It only worsened when I was off to be married to a man I barely knew about,"

"I was crying my heart out one day when the Queen, your grandmother, spotted me. She held a strange compassion for everyone that was well concealed by her expressions. She told me words that I still remember until this day,"

"Do your duty, Daraa. Never forget that everyone has their place in the world. Always do your part even if others do not,"

She fell silent for a while and I could almost imagine the incident happening. But it was hard to visualize her tears, as Daraa was strong as steel.