Chapter 32

*chriss pov*

We all got shoved out of the room and back into the waiting room. Doctors and nurses sprinted into harpers room. While we were waiting i pulled jay aside to talk about his sister.

"Jay, why did something similar happen back in georgia? Like the way she spoke with denise, like what she said... im worried about her." I say as soon as we get out of earshot of matt and nick.

"Dont worry she'll be fine. But yes something similar happened back home in georgia she had gotten into a really bad place. She was always leaving ben and jack at home with our parents, since she was the only kid allowed out, and i decided to follow her one day. She walked into a big building. I watched as she walked into an elevator and go to the top floor. So i did the same. I walked of the to check in desk and found out that it was a therapy clinic. I couldnt handle knowing that she had to go to therapy. So i went to see jack and ben. Our parents were angry and getting abusive. The boys were fast and could run away sometimes. But this time they had caught them. I had shouted at them and they turned to me. And as they were about to hit me she walked through the door. They dropped me to the floor. She had walked in with a boy. Her boyfriend at the time. By the way this was when she was fourteen. They took her and her boyfriend into the other room. All i could hear were screams from both of them." As jay told me this story his eyes were filling with tears "i rushed to the door but it was locked. I kicked the door down but they didnt stop. My dad had her on the ground and was beating her half to death. Her boyfriend was being held against the wall and forced to watch by my mom. I came over and kicked my dad off of her. My mom dropped her boyfriend and he rushed over to her. But she was unconscious. He started crying and yelling at me for help. So i picked her up and took her to the nearest hospital with him trailing behind me. Then the doctors took her and i didnt see her for hours. Her boyfriend was pacing. I decided to go and check on her in the room the nurse said she would be in. And when i got the she was awake talking to a therapist, that denise" suddenly he got a call. "Whats up kiddos? Oh right of course ill send matt to take you now" he ended the call and walked over to matt and nick spoke to the and they left. He signaled for me to walk over and we sat in the seats my brothers were seconds before. "The next day when i found a way into the house i found her... umm... i dont know if she would want me to tell you"

"You can tell me anything about her i will never bring this conversation up to her ever" i say putting my hands up 'in surrender'. He nodded

"She was hurting herself... i found out she hadnt eaten in like a week or more. And she had.. um" he choked on his words. I put my hand on his shoulder to let him know that im here for him. "She had a rope in her room. Which she had bought like the day before" he says as he looks to the floor.

My heart drops. I couldnt believe what i was being told right now. The happy and energetic girl i was used to... i almost didnt get to meet her, i almost didnt get to share her spark of joy, listen to her contagious laugh, or even just enjoy her presence. I could of missed it all. But now its happening again. She knows there is no escape from her parents. "I want out" her words rang through my ears over and over. Before the doctor entered the waiting room.

"Are you two gentlemen in relation to harper hayes?" He spoke as he reached us.

"Yeah im her brother and thats her best friend" he looked at me and smiled. I smiled back before we both stood up.

"I hate to inform you but we have moved harper up to the mental suite." He says looking at jay then to me.

"What? Why? What happened? Why is she up there? Why didnt you tell us before you moved her? Can we go see her?" Jay panicked and was rambling about more and more questions.

"Up in the mental suite you can see her as much as you like. Would you like to follow me and i can explain why she has been moved" he said walking into a quieter part of the waiting room. "She had gotten into the pills at the side of her bed... she tried to overdose im sorry." The doctor then led us up to her room. Jay and i still in shock not knowing what to say or do. We walked into her room and she was passed out on the bed.

"Ill give you some time with her" i tell jay before turning out of the room. I head down and out of the hospital. I couldnt process what had happened and all of the information i had just gotten. I couldnt be there.

"Chris?" I hear a familiar voice. I look over and see the person i least wanted to see.

"Get the fuck away from me sophie" i say moving away from her.

"No wait!" She says grabbing my arm which i quickly retract from her grasp. "I want to apologise to you"

"Why to me?" I say getting angry

"Im sorry for what ive done" she say bowing her head. "I told jess about you" everything stopped.

"So not only are you the cause of harpers suffering but mine too? All of those things i said to her... that was because of you?" She nodded slowly.

"But i have realised that it was wrong and i wanted to apologise." She say placing her hand on my arm. I move away

"You know what i dont even care what youve done to me. Its harper who i care about. You cause her so much suffering and pain and then when you leave youre still causing pain do you understand what she has been through?" I shout at her. She gulps and steps closer to me. "get the fuck away from me. I dont want anything to do with you. You fucking bitch" i raise my hand and i slap her.

I walk away as fast as i could before realisation kicks in. Ive just slapped her. A girl. Fuck. I mean yeah she was a bitch but i should never resort to violence especially against women. I started my way home and i walk in silence the whole way there. No music. No talking. No playing on my phone. Nothing.

As i got home i saw matts car in the driveway. I knock on the door and walk in once matt opens the door. The police are still here so everyone is just sitting in the kitchen.

"Nick pass me a pepsi" i say not making eye contact with any of them.

"Okay" he says

"Whats up bro?" Matt asks

"Nothing just worried about harper" i say sitting at the island

"Shes in perfect hands of the doctors and nurses now." Nick reassures me.

"Yeah" i answer just staring at the table.

"You werent this worried last time. Whats up?" Nick asks.

"Nothing" i shug. I get up and head to my bedroom.

Over the next few days harper stayed in hospital. Matt visited her. Nick visited her. My mom visited her. Even my brother justin visited her. But i couldnt. I couldnt see her knowing how she was feeling. Knowing i couldnt take away her suffering. It hurts different when it comes from the people that are supposed to provide for you. It hurts different when you still love them after everything theyve done.

A/N
I havent posted in a couple days sorry i was busy reading other ones but i hope you like it 🫶🏻