Chapter 59: Please forgive me

Rory opened the door, and Tristan was sitting on the couch with Jordan. She looked at him and felt her heart break.

Tristan looked up and saw her face. "Rory, what are you doing home? Baby, is everything okay?"

"Tristan, we need to talk. Can you put Jordan in the playroom with Bella and Drew?"

"Um, yeah. Rory, the look on your face is scaring me. I will be right back. Sit your stuff down."

She sat her bag down and walked to the couch. She sat down and wiped her eyes as tears slid down her cheek.

Tristan came back a few minutes later, and he sat down beside her. He grabbed her hand and wiped her tears.

"Baby, what's wrong? Did someone hurt you?"

"Tristan, I need you to listen to me. Promise me you will listen. I am fine. No one hurt me, but I need you to listen. Then you can say whatever you need to."

"Um, okay, baby. You have my full attention with no interruptions."

"So, you know I went to dinner with Lukas the other night. You also know I have been busy writing the article between press conferences. I kept seeing these images of you and me making love. They were so fresh, and they weren't here at our house. I didn't even know this until a few hours ago."

"Tristan, I messed up. I need you to know how sorry I am, but Lukas came over asking me to join him for dinner for my last night in LA. I told him what I had been seeing because I got drunk that first night. He told me that we slept together and I thought he was you. I was freaking out. He said I was very adamant about sleeping with him, and he tried to stop, but well, you know how I get when I drink. I came straight home to talk to you."

Tristan sat there just staring at me. He didn't say anything. It was like he was stunned and speechless. He blinked a few times, and after about three minutes of nothing but silence. He looked at me with anger in his eyes.

"You cheated on me with Lukas? You slept with Lukas? Are you fucking kidding me?"

"Technically, yes, it was with Lukas, but I thought it was you. No, Tristan, I am being honest. Please don't act like this. We are strong enough that we can get past this."

"Rory, you slept with someone else. How can we get past this? You cheated on me, and even tho you thought it was me doesn't make it okay. Did he use protection?"

"No, he said he tried, but I told him not to because I was on birth control. I explained to him that we just switched, and now there was a possibility that I could be pregnant. I never said it made it okay. I know I screwed up. Trust me, I know. Tristan, I love you. Please don't let this ruin us. I am so sorry I wasn't me."

"Rory, I can't just forgive you. We had a special thing between us. I was your only partner. I am your husband. How would you feel if this happened to me? I told you I wasn't me, and I thought it was you. Would you be so quick to forgive me?"

"I would be upset, very upset. I would also be understanding because I know how you are when you get drunk, but you always know and remember our times when you have been drunk. I would try to forgive you, and I would probably never trust you again."

"Rory, you slept with another man. I can't do this right now. I need some time to think about this and about us. I need some space, and I am going to find somewhere I can go for a few days. Please don't call or text me unless something happens with the kids. Do you want me to take one of them with me?"

"Tristan, please don't leave me. I understand you need space and time to think. Our house is big enough that you don't have to see me. I will go to one of the rooms upstairs and stay there, or you can whichever."