Chapter 4: Study Date

Two days before Christmas Break:

Rory had been studying so much that she had barely left Tristan's room. She had been staying here so she concentrate completely on her classes and nothing else. 

Tristan had gone out for food and coffee. She was sitting in the exact spot as when he left an hour ago.

He took the coffee cup and ran it under her nose. Her hand went for the cup, and he pulled it away.

"Nope, in order to get this coffee, you have to close your book and eat."

"Tristan, that's so not fair. I need to study, and I have my final tomorrow."

"I know that, but you still need a break so your eyes can adjust to something other than those tiny black letters they have been staring at all day. Eat dinner and drink your coffee, then I will let you go right back to your book, please."

She looked over at him as he smiled and pouted his lips at her. "Fine, but last break for the rest of the night. I guess I should go back to my room. I'm sure you are tired of sleeping on the couch."

"You don't have to go back. I would prefer it if you would stay. Couch is fine with me."

"Are you sure? I feel like I am an intruder."

"Now, I have told you I enjoy you being here. I enjoy our conversations, which we haven't had much of this week. I know you are studying for your first college final before we get new classes after the break. It's important to you, so therefore, it's important to me."

She smiled at him as she listened to his words. They had been spending a lot of time together for the last almost four months, and he had been respectful. Surely, they could sleep in the same bed without it being anything sexual. She wanted to see how Tristan would react if they slept completely clothed in the bed together.

"Okay, Tristan, I will make a deal with you. I will stay until Christmas break if you sleep in the bed with me. I mean, sleep fully clothed, but then I won't feel so bad about taking over your bed."

"Um, really, you want me to sleep in the same bed with you?"  

"Yes, Tristan. You have been respectful the entire time we have been hanging out, and I trust you."

He raised his eyebrows, "Maybe, but I have been respectful because we are getting to know each other. I don't know if I can trust myself to be in that small bed beside you. Sometimes, my body has a mind of its own."

"Tristan, have faith in yourself. I am saying I trust you; I want you to trust yourself. This would kind of be the next step in getting to know each other. I promise not to judge you for anything that your body does." 

He looked down and then back into her beautiful blue eyes. "OK, Rory, as long as you promise a judgment-free zone."

She smiled, "Judgement free, I promise. Now, may I please have the coffee?"

He smiled and handed her coffee and food to her. She smiled like a little kid on Christmas morning. They ate in silence, and she drank her coffee, smiling with each sip. She went back to studying as Tristan just sat there and watched her concentrate until she couldn't stop yawning.

"Okay, Mary, you have studied that book to death. It is bedtime; you can barely keep your eyes open. Let's go to bed." He stood up and held his hand out for her so he could help her up. She took it, and he lifted her up into his arms. "Your clothes are on the bed. I will go change in the bathroom."

They walked into his room, and she watched him go into his bathroom and close the door. She changed clothes into the shirt and shorts he had loaned her.